Surviving Minnesota!

Morning . Spent the day outside in the sun . Ralphie you may need to feed those bees if no trees are blooming . Here silver maple is first to bloom . Keep us up to date on your bees . Oh also I had a package try to swarm and leave the hive once . A clipped wing or queen excluder on the bottom will keep them in . Once you have brood no problem . BC good to see you post . I was starting to wonder .

...if I have covid?
Naw. Only doing good things with my kids at home. Trying to cook and clean. I’ve caught up on a lot of tv also. Chicken tv too. Spring is actually busy around here. Outdoor work added is always an adjustment.

Maybe I will be lucky and my three eggplants will get cutworms.
Oh gosh I laughed at this. Sorry I was so harsh for those that love eggplant 🍆. I’m usually not that opinionated... ahem...

Well anyways I’m off to take Sadie to her vet appointment for spring tick meds that cost a fortune. And to get pigment in the white paint that will not cover a 20 year old mosquito 🦟 smooshed on the wall. The lady must have forgot. Now I need to expose my self twice for an over priced quart of whit-ish paint.

Jerry, I have a gallon feedfor them ready to go.
The silver maples are one of the first to bloom here too. As of yesterday their buds have not opened, but they are getting swollen.

I think, I am going to try a nuc and packaged bees both next year, just to see which does better. I have honey in some of the supers also for them to clean up. Hopefully, that will help them want to stay. I even bought a bag of marshmallows to block the queen in her cage for a little while.

Do I have to open the door on the bottom of the hive right away or can I leave them locked in until they start laying brood?

I will watch the video in a few minutes, the WW is on a conference call and I am ordered to be silent.

BC, I really fought with my self before buying the Eggplant seeds. They look so pretty and delicious on the package. I really want to like them, but I just can’t. They taste so gross. It has to be the way I cook them.

Maybe when Covid 19 round 2 hits this coming winter I will learn to like them when all non-eggplant eaters are starving to death.

BC, I really fought with my self before buying the Eggplant seeds. They look so pretty and delicious on the package. I really want to like them, but I just can’t. They taste so gross. It has to be the way I cook them.
If they are Black Beauty, they will be bitter.

"Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds. Place the rounds in a colander and sprinkle them with salt (sea salt, kosher salt, any kind of salt will work). Make sure each eggplant round has a thin sprinkling of salt on it. Let the slices sit for 20-30 minutes until beads of liquid form on the surface. This process helps to remove any bitterness that may be present in the eggplant."

If they are Black Beauty, they will be bitter.

"Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds. Place the rounds in a colander and sprinkle them with salt (sea salt, kosher salt, any kind of salt will work). Make sure each eggplant round has a thin sprinkling of salt on it. Let the slices sit for 20-30 minutes until beads of liquid form on the surface. This process helps to remove any bitterness that may be present in the eggplant."

Once the bitterness is removed do they still taste like crap?

Back
Top Bottom