Surviving Minnesota!

wondering if you all could give me a few opinions on my coop for the winter. this will be my first winter with them. they are in an old chicken coop that was here on the property when we bought the farm. it is made from solid lumber but some of them are just warn away for the wind and weather. they are thin in a few spots where you can see through. do i need to seal up those places so there is no draft at all? if so what do you suggest i use? plastic on the inside? outside? buy some tin? use scrap pieces of tin and just cover those spots? im not worried about it looking pretty just dont what my chickens and turkeys to get frost bite. do you free range in the winter? im afraid they will all go stir crazy from boredom if i dont? sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:

Morning . Roadtrip yesterday to have lunch with our granddaughter and her baby .I have a couple of rants from that trip . The dine in restaurant we chose online search was not dine in . We are so tired of eating in the car . We finally found a dine in . Then when the visit was over we all stopped for gas . Pumps would not let us start without a loyalty number . Went in since it is a prepay . We wanted to fill up . Oh I can turn the pumps on then you can come in and pay . Worked for granddaughter not mine . So I went back in . She said oh I tried telling you on the speaker to use another pump . Speaker not working either . I said I got a 2 hour drive and I will find another station .

wondering if you all could give me a few opinions on my coop for the winter. this will be my first winter with them. they are in an old chicken coop that was here on the property when we bought the farm. it is made from solid lumber but some of them are just warn away for the wind and weather. they are thin in a few spots where you can see through. do i need to seal up those places so there is no draft at all? if so what do you suggest i use? plastic on the inside? outside? buy some tin? use scrap pieces of tin and just cover those spots? im not worried about it looking pretty just dont what my chickens and turkeys to get frost bite. do you free range in the winter? im afraid they will all go stir crazy from boredom if i dont? sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:
I would just cover the worn spots with wood or tin. Just be sure you aren’t closing off ventilation. I would avoid using plastic for that reason. You don’t want to hold in moisture.
I still free range all winter. The only days I don’t is when there is a blizzard or day temps are -15 and lower. Just my personal way of doing things.

Morning . Roadtrip yesterday to have lunch with our granddaughter and her baby .I have a couple of rants from that trip . The dine in restaurant we chose online search was not dine in . We are so tired of eating in the car . We finally found a dine in . Then when the visit was over we all stopped for gas . Pumps would not let us start without a loyalty number . Went in since it is a prepay . We wanted to fill up . Oh I can turn the pumps on then you can come in and pay . Worked for granddaughter not mine . So I went back in . She said oh I tried telling you on the speaker to use another pump . Speaker not working either . I said I got a 2 hour drive and I will find another station .
I bet you will use those 2 places again :barnie

Back
Top Bottom