Surviving the wild

ericstac

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I'm raising a new flock of 27 chickens and its been a blast as usual. I was very surprised when we first got them because, for one, none of them died, and two, when we were able to finally get a good picture to count them we found out we have 27 instead of the 25 ordered :)
So fast forward 4 weeks, I was out watering and feeding them when I noticed they are to the point that when they 'fly' around their bodies are so heavy they knock the waterer around so much it spills out. So I decided to reclaim an old broken porch rocker and used the back of it to create a wall so this no longer can happen yet they can still walk to the waterer. One simple screw to hold it in place and I would be done. I didn't even think about what the chickens would think when the drill went off but I quickly learned it would scare the chicken poop out of them lol. a few flew out of the coop where they would enjoy the wild lands for a bit. I didn't realize this until I was done, I looked up to find their protector Jake, an old weimaraner, very upset that one was running around too far from the coop. By the time I got around the corner she vanished!!
I scooped up the others and closed the coop and grabbed my three boys to help me find this lost Easter Egger. We searched the property for a good 30 minutes and nothing, then she pops up for a minute but was scared back into the heavy brush and vanished again. By this time it was football practice so we had to head into town which takes about 4 hours out of my day to go there, practice, and come back. It was night time before we got back and still no sign of her. They next day she was still missing, I searched a while through the brush where I drove the tractor through the day before thinking maybe she was ran over but no sign of any feathers or anything.
I gave up and throughout the day would look out the window to see if she would pop up but never did. It was evening time again and football practice was upon us so we all headed out to town again. This time a big storm popped up and practice was cancelled. The boys hopped into MeMe's car to go stay the night there and me and wifey headed home. As we are getting out of the car the Easter Egger is looking through the coop window at the other girls!! We couldn't believe it! So we walked over, scooped her up and she was able to spend the night in her coop :)

With all the owls, coons, etc around us I figured she was a goner but I guess she found a good hiding place for the night
thumbsup.gif

Yes we were happily surprised when we got home and she was hanging out over there talking to the others through the wire window lol.

Back
Top Bottom