suspect broken wing

isabrownlois

Hatching
Feb 2, 2017
My girl an Isa Brown had a run in with the foster dog, On first examination her wing was hanging down. No Blood
seen, I took her in wrapped her wing and body with a bandage and kept her quiet over night. In the morning she was eating and drinking but by noon she was becoming more active getting around the laundry and wanting to come into the house. I re wrapped her wing, but it is not with vetwrap just a crepe bandage and it goes around the whole body. question when should I put her back out into the coop with other girls??

My girl an Isa Brown had a run in with the foster dog, On first examination her wing was hanging down. No Blood
seen, I took her in wrapped her wing and body with a bandage and kept her quiet over night. In the morning she was eating and drinking but by noon she was becoming more active getting around the laundry and wanting to come into the house. I re wrapped her wing, but it is not with vetwrap just a crepe bandage and it goes around the whole body. question when should I put her back out into the coop with other girls??
Welcome to BYC

If you think the wing is broken and have her wrapped, it would be best to keep her isolated until she heals. You don't want her to get hung up on fencing or have the others attack her.

When you are home and have time, you can place her in wire dog kennel inside the run so she can socialize with her flockmates, while reducing the risk of her being re-injured. This is also a good way to re-integrate a chicken that has been removed from the flock for a period of time due to illness/injury.

Offer her some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed.

Keep us posted.

http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I am so unsure if my girl has a broken wing or not,it drags u less bandaged,I just let her outside for a bit and she was holding the leg up and shaking ? Any ideas you. But I found an egg in laundry this am,so not sure what to do with her. After being out she huddled in corner of laundry room please help!

I am so unsure if my girl has a broken wing or not,it drags u less bandaged,I just let her outside for a bit and she was holding the leg up and shaking ? Any ideas you. But I found an egg in laundry this am,so not sure what to do with her. After being out she huddled in corner of laundry room please help!

Carefully inspect her to make sure that she has no wounds. Sometimes feathers can hide puncture wounds from a dog.

Dogs also can squeeze/crush, so it's not uncommon for a chicken to have internal injuries.

Since she is huddling in the laundry room, if you can keep her there that would be a good idea. She may be in a bit of shock, so provide her a comfy corner with food and water. Make sure she is drinking well.

Ok thanx she is eating drinking not sure,where did the egg come from hot stressed birds don't lay? Also how and when do I integrate her?

Back
Top Bottom