Suspect Eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paparootzi, May 15, 2010.

1. paparootzi

paparootzi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    I noticed that I was short an egg for a while and at first thought that maybe a couple of hens were only having one every other day but I decided to isolate EACH hen to check out the situation and realized a certain hen has not laid an egg for a few days. I just recently had a Blue & Gold Macaw that was ill and when I took her to the vet, he discovered she was egg bound and it had been there for so long that it had calcified! He could not break it to remove it right then so he said he had to surgically remove it but she did not recover from the anesthesia. Of course, this is why I am concerned. So, does anyone know how to check (inside)? and if there IS an egg in there ...How do I get it to come out?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ok yes you can check to see if she is eggbound, get a rubber glove and some mineral oil, stick your gloved finger into her vent, and feel around for an egg. if you do feel an egg in there then you can carefully shoot mineral oil into her vent and then start giving her warm sitz baths a couple times a day.. also keep her in a box in a warm, dry , dark place...

3. paparootzi

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    Thanks! I'll try that and let you know here in a little while! I hope it's as easy as you make it sound!!

4. paparootzi

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    OK I did it and boy was that wierd but I didn't feel anything solid. It just felt mushy and warm. Would it be REAL OBVIOUS? I mean she's not broody like a couple of other hens that aren't laying but they are setting. My grandmother said she might have a nest outside somewhere but she goes in at night so that couldn't be it, right? Well, I'll try and isolate her again for more than just 2 days in a row. I'll try 4 days. If she does not have an egg by then, something must be wrong. Oh, by the way, I only got her last Feb.(09) and her sisters are still laying so she's not too old, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by