1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suspected Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SusanD, Aug 22, 2016.

1. SusanD

SusanD Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this bumblefoot? If so, does she need surgery, or is there a chance I could get by with soaking? She is going to my coworker's in September, and I would like to have her in good health by then.

Update - I'm pretty sure based on feedback I've gotten that it is bumblefoot. The poultry vet I consulted said to keep it clean and bandaged. I could use someone to talk me through treating her (online), as I'm a bit confused on where to start. Also, on how long to give the bathe and bandage treatment to work before asking for an appointment. Please let me know if you have experience and would be willing to talk me through.

I'm upset with myself for not catching it sooner, as I think she must have caught it from bruising her foot on the waterers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. SusanD

On a related note, does anyone have an idea how to modify my water set up to prevent her reinjuring herself. I suspect she injured herself kicking our water buckets. Besides these, I do have a couple nipple waterers, assuming the chickens will use them.

[​IMG]

3. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    I can't see the photos in your first post.

4. SusanD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you go. I'm hoping it's just bruising and not infected (I didn't see any signs of redness, swelling, or tenderness). I should say that the three chickens in question have been rehomed (I did let the people know about the possible foot issues). If you do think this is infected and will need treatment, I will let them know. I am missing them, and am hoping to hear they're doing well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I enlarged your pic and the little black spot/scab is a tell-tale sign of early bumblefoot.
    Take care of it now before it becomes an issue.
    Epsom salt/warm water soak, wipe off debris, dry the foot and apply Neosporin. Use a gauze pad on the site and wrap with VetWrap (flexible self-stick bandage). Change daily.
    Scrub down coop floor, roost bars, etc.
    As for your waterer issue, perhaps try a plastic poultry drinker.
    Best wishes!

6. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    It's bumblefoot and will need treatment.

7. SusanD

Thanks for your feedback. I notified the couple that took them and offered to help in any way I can. The lady said that they are keeping an eye on it. She also sounds like she has had experience with chickens. So, not the way I wanted our chicken keeping venture to end, but hopefully all concerned will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by