Suspected Coccidiosis need help

Post your necropsy report here on this thread please.

I agree, the crop being squishy and her drinking a lot of water, I would lean toward crop issues as well.
Is she pooping at all?
Read to following article to help you determine which crop issue it might be. Likely a sour crop, but hard to know unless you investigate it. Keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for trying to help me. This all started with lots of blood in her stool and excessive drinking. At first she was eating just fine, but she seems to continue to go downhill now. I’m trying to force feed her, but she is very lethargic, drinking a lot and refusing food. I have been through this so many times this year, I have no tears left to cry for these poor creatures. I suspect this is something I’m not going to be able to help her with.

I will try to post the necropsy report soon, I can’t seem to find it in my email on this device.

Thank you for trying to help me. This all started with lots of blood in her stool and excessive drinking. At first she was eating just fine, but she seems to continue to go downhill now. I’m trying to force feed her, but she is very lethargic, drinking a lot and refusing food. I have been through this so many times this year, I have no tears left to cry for these poor creatures. I suspect this is something I’m not going to be able to help her with.

I will try to post the necropsy report soon, I can’t seem to find it in my email on this device.
Has she laid any eggs recently? Did you happen to feel inside the vent for any egg?

Photos of the poop?
Is there any way to take some samples of poop to your vet for testing? A gram stain would be good.
8months old and bloody poop, unless she's really new to you or she's on new ground, I would suspect Enteritis. I'm not a vet at all so, that's speculation on my part.
Have you given any antibiotics in conjunction with the Corid to see if that makes a difference? If vet care and testing is not possible and she's declining, as a last ditch effort you could try antibiotics to see if that makes a difference. Amoxicillin, Tylan (Tylosin) or Tetracycline can be used to treat Enteritis. I know of no contraindications of using any of these along with the Corid.

Bloody stool could be from worms too. Have you ever wormed your flock? Fenbendazole or Valbazen would be what I would use.

The true but sad part of this story is that good avian vets are very rare. Those with poultry experience are as rare as hens' teeth.
In the last 30 years or so, we've gone from about 25 veterinary schools with a poultry program down to 8 or less. Most of the graduates from those programs find work for large commercial poultry companies. You won't find one of them in your area.
Sometimes a good avian vet will also raise their own poultry which is where they gain the experience, not from the university. Those are the ones to look for.

The true but sad part of this story is that good avian vets are very rare. Those with poultry experience are as rare as hens' teeth.
In the last 30 years or so, we've gone from about 25 veterinary schools with a poultry program down to 8 or less. Most of the graduates from those programs find work for large commercial poultry companies. You won't find one of them in your area.
Sometimes a good avian vet will also raise their own poultry which is where they gain the experience, not from the university. Those are the ones to look for.
The vet I saw does have her own birds,,which is one thing I liked about her. She has chickens, doves, guineas and ducks, so I figured she has a lot of hands on experience. But I agree with you, and I do believe since most sick hens are simply euthanized, the knowledge and experience are just not common.

Has she laid any eggs recently? Did you happen to feel inside the vent for any egg?

Photos of the poop?
Is there any way to take some samples of poop to your vet for testing? A gram stain would be good.
8months old and bloody poop, unless she's really new to you or she's on new ground, I would suspect Enteritis. I'm not a vet at all so, that's speculation on my part.
Have you given any antibiotics in conjunction with the Corid to see if that makes a difference? If vet care and testing is not possible and she's declining, as a last ditch effort you could try antibiotics to see if that makes a difference. Amoxicillin, Tylan (Tylosin) or Tetracycline can be used to treat Enteritis. I know of no contraindications of using any of these along with the Corid.

Bloody stool could be from worms too. Have you ever wormed your flock? Fenbendazole or Valbazen would be what I would use.
Her poop is basically water and Urates, but I will ask her if she thinks it would help.

Photos of the poop?

We just tested negative for worms via necropsy and her last egg was Friday, but with her being sick I’m not surprised there aren’t any more. Th vet did check her vent and found nothing unusual.

The vet I saw does have her own birds,,which is one thing I liked about her. She has chickens, doves, guineas and ducks, so I figured she has a lot of hands on experience. But I agree with you, and I do believe since most sick hens are simply euthanized, the knowledge and experience are just not common.
That and almost all good avian vets are devoted to very valuable species like psittacines and other exotics. Most view chickens as throw away animals. (a dime a dozen)
We have several avian vets around here but even those with their own chickens, few are very good poultry vets.

So glad I have joined this site! I noticed some bloody/loose stool several days ago, but I cannot tell which chicken is doing this. I looked at each one’s vent and found nothing. I have not seen any blood recently, but I am still seeing loose brown stool around.
My chickens free range. Everyone is active, happy, and laying. Last week I noticed what looked like dark red “speckles” on a couple of eggs, but that seems to have stopped the last two days.
I asked an employee at Tractor Supply Company (a guy who said he has been raising chickens for 20 years) and he told me not to worry about it. He did suggest I stop adding ACV to their water for a while to see if it made a difference, but other than that he said do nothing.
So, any suggestions? Do I just wait and watch or take action? I don’t want to ignore a problem only to see it get worse. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

So glad I have joined this site! I noticed some bloody/loose stool several days ago, but I cannot tell which chicken is doing this. I looked at each one’s vent and found nothing. I have not seen any blood recently, but I am still seeing loose brown stool around.
My chickens free range. Everyone is active, happy, and laying. Last week I noticed what looked like dark red “speckles” on a couple of eggs, but that seems to have stopped the last two days.
I asked an employee at Tractor Supply Company (a guy who said he has been raising chickens for 20 years) and he told me not to worry about it. He did suggest I stop adding ACV to their water for a while to see if it made a difference, but other than that he said do nothing.
So, any suggestions? Do I just wait and watch or take action? I don’t want to ignore a problem only to see it get worse. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
If you can get some photos of the poop that would be helpful. If you are not seeing any symptoms like lethargy, loose stools with mucous or blood, puffed up/unkempt appearance and going off food, likely what you saw was intestinal shedding that can happen every once in a while. If it's consistent, then you want to investigate. Getting a fecal test is a good way to find out.
Pictures of the dark red speckles on the eggs would be good too. IF your girls are pullets and just coming into lay, it's not uncommon to find a smear of blood on the shell.

A00B7851-DD6E-4523-BCD0-6B6871915B9A.jpeg
If you can get some photos of the poop that would be helpful. If you are not seeing any symptoms like lethargy, loose stools with mucous or blood, puffed up/unkempt appearance and going off food, likely what you saw was intestinal shedding that can happen every once in a while. If it's consistent, then you want to investigate. Getting a fecal test is a good way to find out.
Pictures of the dark red speckles on the eggs would be good too. IF your girls are pullets and just coming into lay, it's not uncommon to find a smear of blood on the shell.

I am not seeing any more bloody stools around, but I am keeping my eyes open! I am, however, still getting the speckled eggs. I think they may be coming from one of my Rhode Island Reds. Attached is a picture. I know the speckles are not part of the egg shell because I can wash them off.
Anybody see this before and know what might be causing it? My hens started laying about mid August. The speckles just started about two weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom