Suspected Coccidiosis need help

amanda1

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2015
My 8 month old hen started having the runs on Thursday. Friday there was blood in her poop and she was drinking an excessive amount of water. Saturday even more blood, so I started Corrid. Sunday no more blood, but still drinking a lot, and her poop is just mostly water. She stopped eating, but is still drinking a lot of water and having the runs. Her crop is soft and squishy. We have confirmed we have no worms with a vet, so it’s not that. I just want to save her but I don’t know what to do for her.

We have confirmed we have no worms with a vet, so it’s not that
Most vets will also check for coccidia load at the same time. Can you call and ask if that was included and also ruled out?

This sounds much more like blocked crop than coccidiosis... which usually causes going OFF food AND water. Or maybe a blockage somewhere else? Blocked crops will often be heavy drinkers... and the excess water adds to the loose stools.

Treating with Corid won't hurt. But should not supplement vitamins during treatment.

:fl

Most vets will also check for coccidia load at the same time. Can you call and ask if that was included and also ruled out?

This sounds much more like blocked crop than coccidiosis... which usually causes going OFF food AND water. Or maybe a blockage somewhere else? Blocked crops will often be heavy drinkers... and the excess water adds to the loose stools.

Treating with Corid won't hurt. But should not supplement vitamins during treatment.

The work check was done via necropsy on a different bird that died of a genetic issue. I’d also taken a sample to the vet for a fecal float. I’m just about done with our local avian vets. Three out of three were misdiagnosed, so I’m relying on experienced chicken owners for help.

Corrid dosage.jpeg
it took my pullets that were worse off 2-3 days of treatment use the sever outbreak dosage and follow follow through 5-7 then on a preventative dosage for another 5-7. You can also entice her with like Scrambled egg, after treatment is finished then give her some vitamins. Here is Wyorp Rock recommendation for the 20%

Mine loved a bit of coconut oil and minced garlic to eat to get them to start eating, what ever gets her to

The worst off ones were also being treated for Worm overload with Valnbazen which could cause a lot of same issues your seeing

View attachment 1934642 it took my pullets that were worse off 2-3 days of treatment use the sever outbreak dosage and follow follow through 5-7 then on a preventative dosage for another 5-7. You can also entice her with like Scrambled egg, after treatment is finished then give her some vitamins. Here is Wyorp Rock recommendation for the 20%

Mine loved a bit of coconut oil and minced garlic to eat to get them to start eating, what ever gets her to

The worst off ones were also being treated for Worm overload with Valnbazen which could cause a lot of same issues your seeing
We definitely don’t have worms. Necropsy done on one a couple of weeks ago confirmed no worms. I am using the 2 ts per gallon.but I wasn’t sure how long, so this was very helpful. Thank you.

I’m just about done with our local avian vets. Three out of three were misdiagnosed, so I’m relying on experienced chicken owners for help.
I know it can be very frustrating! :barnie

Part of the issue is with chickens so many things can throw the same symptom... and we try to rule out the most obvious... and that is heavily influenced by our personal and maybe even recent experiences. I value my vet and his experience greatly... but there is something to be said for the many heads that come together here to share our wide array of different and many unexpected situations and solutions.

Sorry for asking.. but what did your necropsy find and was it done by your local vet or state vet? Would you mind sharing the report as we are all learning how to interpret and such... also how much did that cost you? Sorry again, it sounds like you have really been through the wringer. :hugs

I'm with you on the blockage/fecal impaction/obstruction route, which allows the loose stool to bypass a solid mass. Thankfully I haven't had it in my flock yet, just humans.... so I'll be researching right along with more experienced BYC family and reading to be prepared. Our gang of Cluckers and Quackers most likely have an answer for you and me.

All layer feed will be non medicated.
You can keep offering oyster shell, just in a separate container from the grit, so they can choose which they need.
If those dark spots rub off easily, it doesn't look like excess calcification to me. Sometimes calcification happens after pigment is applied but it will usually be all over or in lighter spots, not darker.
I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just observe behavior: watch for lethargy, going off feed, ruffled up feathers and other signs of discontent.

All layer feed will be non medicated.
You can keep offering oyster shell, just in a separate container from the grit, so they can choose which they need.
If those dark spots rub off easily, it doesn't look like excess calcification to me. Sometimes calcification happens after pigment is applied but it will usually be all over or in lighter spots, not darker.
I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just observe behavior: watch for lethargy, going off feed, ruffled up feathers and other signs of discontent.

Thank you so much! The speckles do not rub off easily. I had to use water, a scrub sponge, and some muscle, but everyone is active and happy. I cleaned their coop today and found only solid, healthy poop!
:celebrate
I will continue to monitor for behavioral changes. Thanks again!!

I'm with you on the blockage/fecal impaction/obstruction route, which allows the loose stool to bypass a solid mass. Thankfully I haven't had it in my flock yet, just humans.... so I'll be researching right along with more experienced BYC family and reading to be prepared. Our gang of Cluckers and Quackers most likely have an answer for you and me.
My suspicion is she isn’t eating because she feels badly. I’m trying to find out how long after treatment starts that they start to feel better. Also, wondering if she needs antibiotics or maybe sour crop. I’m so upset, I’ve lost so many this year, all from different things, but I’m starting to believe that once they get sick, no amount of intervention is going to save them.

Back
Top Bottom