Suspended chicken coop- why not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enrgizerbunny, Mar 7, 2016.

1. enrgizerbunny

enrgizerbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016

Well that sinks the reasoning behind the idea. Thanks!

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    IMO, not a good idea. Chickens need to be on the ground to scratch and forage for bugs, worms, seeds etc, Their feet aren't made for them to be suspended on a wire floor.

Their poop isn't like a rabbits, it's big and gooey (sorry if TMI:/). It will not be dropping through onto the ground below but sticking to the wire like stalactites and piling up on the floor. It will be a mess!

Chickens need a lot of ventilation, fresh air & sunshine. Musty and damp areas are detrimental to their health.

3. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016

Certainly, the underside of my shed is 3.5feet above the ground and not enclosed. It's built on 4x6 stilts because of the hill. Like I mentioned earlier I've now got roofing material so I'll be building a coop with an enclosed run directly beneath it.

Another reason for putting it under the shed was because I'm confident that I'm not SUPPOSED to have chickens and it'd be really low key. Then again I'm probably not SUPPOSED to dig a 1500 gallon koi pond in my front yard without a fence around it, but that didn't stop me. It'll be located on the back or side of the shed where it's out of sight from the road and one of my neighbors. The shed also offers electrical hook up for heaters, lights, etc in the coop.

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016
    That's not a big deal. The duck one street over is much louder.

6. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016
    Finished my coop today! It measures 32x48x29 and it is 32 inches off the ground. Two nesting boxes, two doors for access and cleaning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016
    Picked up 3 golden comets today! They're settling in right now. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  8. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016
    Added cinder blocks for extra predator protection.
    [​IMG]

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The coop and under the coop is their only space? That's 10 square feet of ground and and maybe 7 square feet in the coop after accounting for the hole in the floor for them to get in and the nest boxes. That will be very tight living quarters for 3 adult large birds.

If you do have predators, chicken wire isn't going to stop them, that is easily ripped by many animals that eat chickens.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Is that your dog?

He is waaaaay too interested in your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by