Suspended chicken coop- why not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enrgizerbunny, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    I thought you were going to put them under the shed? If you're building a free-standing coop and run, why make them both so small?

2. enrgizerbunny

enrgizerbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016
    I just went out and added these perches. I read the previous two posts after I finished up.

[​IMG]

3. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016
    I just added these perches based on some pictures I saw, and read the previous two posts when I got finished.

[​IMG]

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The roosts need to be higher than the nests. And my opinion is they need to go for on side to side instead from the nests to the side.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Can you take a pic of the area under your shed you were thinking about using?
    Also what is the climate like where you are - you might be able to use what you have built already and put that under your shed and then just fence in the rest of the area under the shed to provide them more space to move around.

6. enrgizerbunny

Mar 7, 2016

Yes I can, but the solution is a new coop. I didn't pay anything for this one, so no biggie. I'm in central Virginia so winter is 3 months and the high today is 71.

I live on a hill, so getting a proper coop up is more difficult said than done.

7. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    A new coop is good idea.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    While a new coop would be ideal, if you can't do that now you could expand their outside run area to give them more room. You could fashion a cover over a portion of the run to protect them from the elements. From the pics I'm seeing they don't have anywhere with much room to go in the event of bad weather. I'm in VA, too, and the snow we got this winter would have filled up your run area giving them nowhere to go.

It's true that happy hens lay eggs. When they're crowded or can't get any exercise, your egg production will suffer so it's worth the time and investment to give them some room to stretch.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I agree, a larger run will keep them happier!

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    WHy not turn the whole area under the shed into coop with a run out the front or edge?

Unless I am envisioning the shed looking different than I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by