Suspicious comb development on Golden Campine, rut roh!

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
So, being new to all of this, I don't know much about specific breeds, their development, when you can see signs of a roo, etc. But I have seen roosters and boy, does my little Goldie Hawn sure look like one! 'Her' comb is gigantic compared to the others and is already starting to redden. They'll all be 3 weeks old this Sunday. Goldie has a bit of a taller stance and a bit of a strut as well. She seems to be the center of all the little kerfluffles that go on (standing tall, flapping wings at each other face on). She doesn't seem to be feathering out as quickly and her tail feather have just started coming in the past day or so, whereas all the others are just about to that completely gawky, mixed fluff/feathers stage. Is there any chance the little cutie I paid an extra $5 for a girl for is actually a roo? Or is this just typical development for Golden Camps?

Here are some pics. Sorry there are so many, but he/she kept running around and I couldn't get the perfect comb pic.

5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks suspicious to me, but Im not familiar with that breed. LOL maybe all Golden Campine pullets look like cockerels.
fl.gif

chel

Well, that's what I was hoping, that all Golden Camps develop like that....until a few minutes ago when I noticed what could very possibly be the beginning development of spurs. Very, very tiny, almost look like two small flaps on the back of her/his leg. Please tell me spurs don't start developing until months later and it's just something else....something that I'm imagining
fl.gif

I won't get rid of her/him if she/he is a roo, but it would be so much better if she really was a she.

Also wanted to add that 'her' legs are longer and thicker, without much feathering at the top like all the other girls have. Oh dear.

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I only did a quick look and saw that none of the others had the bumps, but I rushed back in to mention it so probably wasn't looking properly. I personally am almost positive she is a he, but was hoping that someone would tell me otherwise. Well, everyone, please meet Cap'n Jack Sparrow, I suppose
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
You're right on the SLW. She's a doll, I love her to death. The two black chicks are Black Stars and the gold/white/black chick is a Delaware, who I am also quite fond of. She is the sweetest little thing. I definitely see more Delawares and SLWs in my future
smile.png
Or perhaps, with the way things seem to be going, some Delaware/Golden Campine mixes
gig.gif

Thanks for the info on the leg bumps. Good to know for the future. My experience with chicks, up until now, was nil so I don't know much about development.

Back
Top Bottom