Sussex and Australorp behaviours

ChOOkens

►ChOOken In A Box◄
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Australia
I have 2 chooks at home and might be getting more.
They need to be great egglayers and have a great behaviour.
As far as I know Sussex's and Australorp's are great egglayers but I don't know about how they behave.

I would appreciate it if you could give me some information abvout these breeds of chicken.

Sussex's and Australorps
Are they/Do they:
Calm?
Curious?
Appreciate human contact?
Bully other chickens?
Hostile?
Flighty?
Broody?
Also:
Do they lay good in Winter?
Which seasons do they have trouble with?
Are they okay Free range and confined?
(Don't worry though we let our chickens free range as much as we can!
smile.png
)

Thanks!

I have both speckled sussex and black australorps and they are probab ly the calmest birds in my flock. The BAs aren't the least bit flighty and the sussex seem to want human contact. They both laid well all winter and if I was going to limit my flock to only two breeds they would be what I'd chose.

Both breeds free range well. I haven't noticed much broodiness with the BAs and I have a very broody sussex right now. I can reach into the nest and pick her without any problem. A BLRW that is broody screams and tries to peck your hand off.

We have two Black Australorps, Delilah, and Luna. They are wonderful chooks! Calm, yes, curious, yes, not aggressive at all, quiet voices (so far at 13 weeks), and are really pretty to look at too, with the green sheen to the feathers.

They haven't laid yet, so I can't speak to egg production and broodiness. HTH!!!

If I could choose them/not choose them again, I'd get them in a heartbeat!!! My 7 year old loves them too, and he carries them often. They seem to like human contact and can be handled easily.

BA's are the breed we started out with and I have really enjoyed them. Great first experience with raising chickens. I have a couple sussex chicks and they are also fantastic personality wise, but haven't started laying yet. Well, one turned out to be a roo, so he won't be laying for sure. Not sure yet what I will do with him. He will no doubt turn out to be quite lovely as a mature roo. Anyway, I do not think you can go wrong with either of the two breeds you have chosen. Love 'em as much as possible as chicks and they will certainly love you even as they get older.

Back
Top Bottom