Sussex and Australorp behaviours

I have a Sussex as well and had a quick question. Do they seem to age slower than the others? Just curious, I think I might have a "mini" one.

smile.png
Hello, we have Australorps and they are so nice and kid friendly. We have had them since little chicks and now 2 are boys but still really nice, this morning when i was outside drinking my cup of tea my main roo jumped up on my lap and had a look around for about 10 mins! He has done this since he could fly/jump. We are still waiting for any eggs
sad.png
We are in Australia too and since it is winter, i think we might be waiting until spring.
I find them very flighty, but i havent had their wings clipped but they can fly about 1 metre high at the moment.
Seeya
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone for sharing your information!
I'm only allowed 2 more chooks which I might be getting and I can either choose from 2 Sussexs', 2 Australorps' or 1 Sussex and 1 Australorp.

There are bantam Sussex - maybe you have one.

I love my Sussex girls - the pair of them give the pair of us enough eggs for the week. And they're always very happy to see us walk over. Now that the roo has gone to freezer camp, the hens are much friendlier.

BA's are great birds layed right through a cold minnesota winter with no heat in the coop, very friendly breed, great with kids, if it makes any difference I got mine though hoovers out of Iowa

Quote:
My BA dont fly they are to heavy they only can get up about foot or so.
my new batch from last spring, and in late fall it was time for them to start laying, I only got a few eggs, but when the end of march hit they were lay really good

BA are great birds and so are Sussex you cant go wrong with any of them.

We have 2 BA and they are great very friendly, calm and smart little things. They can fly up on the 5ft chain link fence and roost in trees at night.

Why not get one of both

Back
Top Bottom