Sussex chicks comb development

KayTee

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 21, 2012
South West France
I am not quite sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I think it may be a question of chicken breed or genetics, so hopefully someone here may have an answer for me.

I recently bought some day old sexed Sussex chicks from a breeder, who keeps Light Sussex and Gold Lace Orpingtons.
Sadly only 2 of the 5 chicks survived, but they are now 2 months old and doing really well. However I have noticed some significant differences between them. Firstly, one has yellow legs, which I understand isn't pure Sussex, but can be a genetic 'throwback'. The other has the classic pale legs, but with feather stubs growing between her toes. Neither of these things bothers me, because I keep my girls as pets and for the eggs, not for showing. What I am curious to find out is why their combs are developing at such different rates. The yellow legged chick already has quite a prominent comb, whilst the pale legged chick barely has points showing - almost no comb at all. Is it normal for combs to develop at such different rates, could it be due to their different genetics, or could there be a problem with the pale legged chick's comb? It is quite visible in this picture - the chick on the right is the pale legged one.

I am not at all worried about it - just curious to know. I had two chicks at the beginning of the year (who both turned out to be roos, so I didn't keep them) and their combs developed at roughly the same time, even though one was a Sussex and one a Red Sex Link, which is why I find it strange that these two are developing so differently, given that they are the same breed.

I'm not at all sure they are the same breed.

Sussex really aren't supposed to have yellow legs, I've never heard of that being a "throwback". I'm not positive on how leg color genetics works, maybe someone else will chime in.

The bird with the feather stubs on the legs isn't pure Sussex. Can you get a better pic of the comb on her? I'm wondering if she's mixed with something like a Light Brahma, that would give her a pea comb. That would account for the difference in combs.

Can you get pics of each bird, standing profile shots including legs and combs?

Also, since you're not in the US, I'm not sure what local breed or mixes could be common.

I thought that the guy I bought them from only had sussex and orpingtons, but I could be wrong. These are the only photos I have at the moment - I will try and get some better ones tomorrow or Thursday.

The pullet with the white legs appears to have no wattles and possibly a pea comb, so I am leaning toward what Donrae said about her being mixed with Light Brahma. But the only thing is, I would expect a few leg feathers if she has Brahma in her and I didn't see any.
As for the other one having yellow legs, maybe she has some Delaware in her or something.

Oops, edited for spelling error thanks to "smart" phone :/

Last edited:
I don't think they are purebred either, and I think brahma is a good bet. (which btw, a sussex crossed with a brahama would be a super nice chicken! two of my favoritw LF breeds!) I do think they both look like females though, it just looks like that might have diffferent types of combs.

Last edited:
The pulley with the white legs appears to have no wattles and possibly a pea comb, so I am leaning toward what Donrae said about her being mixed with Light Brahma. But the only thing is, I would expect a few leg feathers if she has Brahma in her and I didn't see any.
As for the other one having yellow legs, maybe she has some Delaware in her or something.
The white legged one has some small feathers growing between her toes - they are only tiny, but they are there. The yellow chick doesn't have any. I have never wanted chickens with leg feathers because we have a very clay soil here, and when it rains the mud can be horrendous - not a good mix with feathery legs! I shall just wait and see what happens - as long as they turn out to be nice girls I don't mind at all that they have 'mixed' heritage
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom