Sussex? Game? Pullet?

Quote:
They normally are sterile if they are cocks, fantastic if they are hens and almost always give you the same girls.

Can you explain your reasoning on this? Why would a normal chicken be sterile?

Watch and see if she takes all the eggs and sits on them. If she does, she will be very docile, very aggresive at the sight of laying mash (yes, they can tell) and slightly under weight.

Again, can you please explain your reasoning?

All of these are signs of an excellent layer and a hen that will produce live chicks for 5+ years and edible eggs for at least 5 yrs.

Eggs can be eaten at any age and chicks are able to hatch from an egg that is viable...including from a 14 year old hen.

As with all chickens, I do not advise eating anything less than hard boiled if your bird is over 4 yrs. old.

You can eat any egg from any hen that is any age.​

Quote:
NOT true! Maybe for LEGHORNS but there are other breeds that have large yellow legs and lay brown eggs and not necessarily large eggs.

In my opinion the leg color has nothing to do with eggs, too many different breeds have yellow legs and lay very different eggs..

Now, i think she is probably a Old english game bantam cross. She is mottled (since she is black instead of red). I say cross because she has light yellow tinted legs and old english have white. American game bantams have green/blue i believe. I can't say whether she is pea or single comb but it does look like it could be pea comb.

Last edited:
Quote:
NOT true! Maybe for LEGHORNS but there are other breeds that have large yellow legs and lay brown eggs and not necessarily large eggs.

In my opinion the leg color has nothing to do with eggs, too many different breeds have yellow legs and lay very different eggs..

Now, i think she is probably a Old english game bantam cross. She is mottled (since she is black instead of red). I say cross because she has light yellow tinted legs and old english have white. American game bantams have green/blue i believe. I can't say whether she is pea or single comb but it does look like it could be pea comb.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you on the leg color.

Back
Top Bottom