Sussex spending hours in the nest box... no egg!

HamletAndEggs

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2019
Hey there! I am only 22 weeks into keeping my first flock of chickens, still a newbie! Five of the ten are laying and all are doing well. I wanted to find out who was laying the new, enormous, larger-than-commercial brown eggs, so we set up a coop cam (trail cam). Today I saw my Speckled Sussex head into two different nest boxes for over 90 minutes each! At one point she let out a couple of nice squawks and I was sure she’d laid her first egg. Nope. I know that the girls scout out their nesting spots ahead of time, but her behavior seems unusual, compared with the others. Anything to be concerned about? I did a little reading about egg-bound hens but she doesn’t seem to have any of the symptoms except a prominent crop (which she almost always has...). Anything else I should check? As always, thanks in advance for the community’s help!

Mine started laying within the last 6 weeks, and even now they sometimes sit for long periods, sing and squawk even though they didn’t lay, and generally act silly the rest of the time, too.

I think she is practicing. It probably feels funny in there with eggs developing - “hmm. Never felt that before! But I have this desire to sit in here and sing an egg song. It’s fun being a pullet!”

Mine started laying within the last 6 weeks, and even now they sometimes sit for long periods, sing and squawk even though they didn’t lay, and generally act silly the rest of the time, too.

I think she is practicing. It probably feels funny in there with eggs developing - “hmm. Never felt that before! But I have this desire to sit in here and sing an egg song. It’s fun being a pullet!”
Thanks!! That’s the reassurance I needed!!

Back
Top Bottom