Svart Hona.

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Okay, first off I had no clue that this was a breed lol! Does anyone have this breed? What do they look like? I read the look like the Ayam Cemani is that true? I saw a picture, but it looked just like my AC rooster. Now it got me wondering could he be one? I’m very curious about the breed.

I have 2 svart hona hens, or so I was told. It was a kind of dodgy Craigslist deal, you know what I mean. I am under the impression that telling the hens apart is very difficult between the two breeds, but there should be some differences in the roosters ... BUT a lot of that has to do with the quality of birds you have. That's not much help, sorry :(

I have 2 svart hona hens, or so I was told. It was a kind of dodgy Craigslist deal, you know what I mean. I am under the impression that telling the hens apart is very difficult between the two breeds, but there should be some differences in the roosters ... BUT a lot of that has to do with the quality of birds you have. That's not much help, sorry :(
That is helpful thank you! Do you have any pictures of them?

Okay, first off I had no clue that this was a breed lol! Does anyone have this breed? What do they look like? I read the look like the Ayam Cemani is that true? I saw a picture, but it looked just like my AC rooster. Now it got me wondering could he be one? I’m very curious about the breed.
I breed them! They do look like Ayam Cemanis, but a little more like a standard chicken than ACs do. They are super friendly, never a problem with any roo, hens are always following us around at our feet, and more than half let us pick them up without a fuss. I live on a mountain in western Maryland, and the winter has been icy and snowy since December, and we had 1 go broody in December, 2 in January, and 2 in February so far. They don't seemed bothered by cold, but as any chicken, hates the wind. I have 2 different bloodlines, and came from different ends of the country, and they looked a little different. But thats what you get with a landrace breed. They are not standardized in the US yet. Hope this helps, I don't have many photos on this PC.

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_142232854-01.jpg
    IMG_20200613_142232854-01.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201011_125103198_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201011_125103198_HDR.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201121_132245446_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201121_132245446_HDR.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201220_080701922_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201220_080701922_HDR.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 17
I breed them! They do look like Ayam Cemanis, but a little more like a standard chicken than ACs do. They are super friendly, never a problem with any roo, hens are always following us around at our feet, and more than half let us pick them up without a fuss. I live on a mountain in western Maryland, and the winter has been icy and snowy since December, and we had 1 go broody in December, 2 in January, and 2 in February so far. They don't seemed bothered by cold, but as any chicken, hates the wind. I have 2 different bloodlines, and came from different ends of the country, and they looked a little different. But thats what you get with a landrace breed. They are not standardized in the US yet. Hope this helps, I don't have many photos on this PC.
Those are beautiful.

I must admit I don't know anything about this breed. But that pure black look is striking.

They look very similar but have different standards of perfection.. Cemani being a lighter.gamier birds from farther south. And the Svart Hona being a little heavier which almost always equals a little more confident,, aka less flighty.. However even the flightier breeds tend to calm a bit with some maturity.

I was never enthralled by either and may still not be. but the Hona would dress better for the table.. I got Cemani though when they came available, as a labor of love and show of affection for a dear friend whose tried hard to get them for her husband but been burned. First practice hatch is waiting to move to the bator before the next set moves to the hatching bator!

When you start splitting hairs on what breed you're looking at.. sometimes it will be how many points on the comb, actual weight/age, different shape of eyes or waddles.. something newbs to either/any breed might not notice right off but a longer term breeder has trained their eye to see things that JUST don't add up to being "quality" of a specific breed..

https://greenfirefarms.com/swedish_black_hen.html

Greenfire farms was at least one of if not the original importer of these breeds, looks like they quit carrying Cemani this year.. Often times.. lines on different sides of the country still got their start from GFF.. we can only figure that they've been selected for the best qualities and bred towards thriving under different feeding/weather conditions.. and perhaps hopefully bred farther apart genetically speaking.. to improve vigor.

Not saying it's the case for all flocks! Many of work hard to find diverse genetics and with good reason.. Line breeding and inbreeding in fowl CAN also have good and bad results..

YAY.. for everyone who's working to achieve a standard.. of high quality birds! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom