SW Biting Ants

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bosque, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    This year has been really bad in Southern Arizona for biting ants. I have tried so many things, I am hoping someone here can help. The ants are really little with two red segments in the front and a black segment in their rear. There seems to be a network of tunnels around the chicken coop. I have tried a non toxic granular, some gray plastic sticks that you stick into the ground with some sort of gel inside, and Terro, but nothing seems to help. The ants will disappear for a day or two, then when I go to the coup, the girls are sitting on the roost because the floor of the coop is moving with ants. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these little buggers? I would not mind so much, but they BITE!
    Thanks for your suggestions.

2. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    You might try Sevin-5 Dust, I picked some up at Home Depot, or if you don't want a poison I have heard good things about DE.

3. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

I know what you mean! They've been really bad here in New Mexico as well. I've been using diatomaceous earth (food grade) from the feed store in the coop and run, and so far it's kept the ants away. In the front yard I use Amdro (Home Depot or Lowe's), but that can't be used around pets or chickens.

4. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    The DE seemed to do the trick! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by