Swan Questions.

Jeox

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
I was wondering, is it possible to have a tame mute swan, if you hatch it yourself, or get a very young chick? I've also heard they do not like to be out of water, is that correct?
Thanks for any help.
smile.png

Thanks for the link and welcome. :]
I may just have to give a shot at getting on decently tame..
tongue.png

I'm going to bump this for you. Interesting question. I've noticed that you don't see much swans 'for sale' and I thought I read somewhere that it is 'illegal' to have them? Or a permit is needed depending on where you live. I'm curious to know too.

Well mine are taming up nicely, personality wise they seem like geese.

On the permit issue..well it varies..the most important thing is they need to be pinioned. if you have them and they are pinioned, they are viewed as captive domesticated waterfowl. Its no different than having mandarin ducks.
Most states dont care about permits..but they have the have the pinioning done, then the state is happy to have them out of the wild, most states..if they catch you with them and no permit..they will give you 60 days to file for one.
and to get one, you just need to show them they arent going to escape into the wild & reak havoc on the eco-system, and keep excellent records of hatches..disposals..ect.

Mine like to take long walks away from the pond up to the driveway just to piss off the dogs
roll.png
, but really they do need enough water to float in basically year round. They are very heavy and need to get the weight off their joints on a regular basis.

I've been told you need at least two to keep each other company, and then they normally do bond better with each other. Mine aren't "mean" yet, but they are stand-offish. Then again they are only a year old so they haven't started breeding. That is when they are most likely to go after someone, during breeding and hatching season. We picked ours up about 2 days after hatching.

You don't need a breeding pair if you don't want to worry about babies, 2 males or 2 females will bond just fine.

They are the cutest babies, but I am NEVER EVER brooding waterfowl again!! Hubby will have to figure out another way to have wood ducks
big_smile.png

Melissa hit the permit issue, have them pinioned the day they are born and it is almost no blood or pain. Supplement them with spinach for an iron boost and because they like it
tongue.png

I'm new, but I do have one mute swan. I did have her parents and siblings.
I'm in Iowa and DNR requires the mute swans to be pinioned and one toe nail clipped. We did our babies when they were less than a week old by a vet.

Our pond is large 7-8 acres and not fenced in. The first year the pair would walk off or swim to the shallow end where our neighbors Angus bulls hang out. 1st winter, they got themselves frozen in, in the shallow area. Not much fun to put on hip waders and have to chop them out. They did it several times, so I ended up keeping them in an empty horse stall the rest of the winter.

Pairs will attack their own offspring the following year! You will have to keep them separate the following spring. It is real sad that you can't have a happy family. They will also chase other waterfowl. Not ducks too much. Mine especially attacked white ducks and snow geese.

I sold the parents and siblings and just kept one female. She is still aggressive with snow geese and canadian geese.

They are huge birds. They are slow walkers and a target for dogs, coyotes, etc.
Cignets when only a couple months old are like the largest turkey that you can fit in your oven, extremely awkward on the ground, and are easy kills for fox on up in preditor size. I lost two that way.

Seems that there are a few states that have regulations on them. For example, it's my understanding that you you can't breed and sell them in Calif.

They prefer to be on water, as there legs to body ratio is a bit off, but as mentioned do , do well walking around.
As for imprinting, yes, they will if you hatch them or get them very young, they are quite docile birds, not nearly as aggressive as geese.
Cant speak for state to state laws, GA has no such law as yall have mentioned.
Federal laws cover all north American migratory species of water fowl, of which the mute swan is not I dont believe, whoopers, tundras, whistlers, ect are. I know they have to be either toe clipped or pinioned, this is not to prevent escape into the wild, but to verify they are captive raised and not wild caught (which is highly illegal).
Any of these birds will come with the proper permit and paper work, IF you are buying from a legal breeder, and that will be all you have to have, unless you plan to breed and sell as well, in which case you would then need to contact the U.S.D.I. and get your own Federal Migratory Waterfowl Breeders License in order to legally sell them, this would be when you have to keep records of ALL eggs, births, deaths, sell, ect for you annual report to the U.S.D.I.

Like I said, this is Federal, each state may be different, I have never heard of such state laws, but it would bare checking into to be safe, as they can get picky over waterfowl!!

Back
Top Bottom