1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweater or no sweater?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PerfectPlumage, Oct 9, 2015.

1. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

I REALLY want some frizzle seramas, but I have never had a frizzle and heard they can't trap heat in there feathers like smooth chickens can. And I am guessing a seramas tiny size will make them even colder. So, if I get frizzled seramas, could I make them little chicken jackets for winter? I would get squares of warm fabric and layer them, cut them into the right shape, sow them, etc. Wouldn't be knitted.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have frizzles, and they don't have any problems dealing with the cold weather in their uninsulated coop. That being said, I've read that Seramas are a little sensitive to the cold. I think an insulated coop or a heat lamp may be your best options. I can see lots of things going wrong with a sweater, like it hanging on something, or getting wet and chilling them.

3. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Insulating the coop would be pretty hard.. It's a big stall in a barn. And there's no outlets in the barn and it can very, very, easily catch on fire.. Very dry wood, hole barn is full of straw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by