"sweating blood" at top of beak / bottom of comb???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Over Easy PA, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Over Easy PA

Over Easy PA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    I'm totally new to chickens -- just got them 2 weeks ago. So in the horrible heat late yesterday afternoon, before dinner time, all 10 of my chickens (6 / 7 weeks) suddenly had a little drop of blood at the top of their beak, bottom of where the comb is developing! Actually it seemed to be a drop of blood and also some clear liquid. Was that some kind of reaction to the high temps? Any explanation for that? A danger sign of some kind, like they were about to have heat stroke or something? It didn't look like any kind of injury happened, and I didn't see how all of them could get the exact same injury, anyway. Some of them were panting, or at least holding their beaks open (which is guess is panting for a chicken?)

Also - Most of them are just beginning to get kind of pinkish/red faces in the past couple of days. I guess that's a developmental stage. So wondering if that means that they have extra blood circulating around in new capillaries in their comb/wattles areas? And so in the heat maybe they were "sweating blood"???

My instinct was just to do what I had been doing to make sure they stay as cool as possible -- Their run is in a nice shady spot. I have made sure they have plenty of cool water - and ice water in the afternoon. When I saw this weird thing develop with the blood/liquid drop on their beak/comb, I stayed with them and set out a 9x13 pan of cool water -- stood some of them in it, but they would jump out quickly! Had already misted down 1/2 of their run a couple of times earlier in the day, so did that again. They don't seem to like walking around in the mist, but once I turn it off, they do walk around in the damp part.

Except for the open beaks on some of them, they really kept acting pretty normal. I kept an eye on them in the early evening, and nothing horrible happened. Did have a fan for them once they were tucked in for the night in their roosting spot in our garage. (We should have their permanent coop home finished tomorrow - Very exciting for all of us!!!)

They all seem happy and fine this morning. But we're going to be even hotter this afternoon. I've been reading all the suggestions about how to keep them cool, and will do my best. Just want some advice about how much to panic if they start "sweating blood" again today! Any explanations? Thanks!!!

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Sorry I don't have an answer for your question.. But I just wanted to say welcome [​IMG] ! I also live in PA. Sorry I cant help you with this question.

Mollie

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Mites maybe?

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have to say, I've NEVER heard of this before; it's very odd. It sounds like they are eating & drinking fine? Does their poop look normal?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No idea. The only things that I've seen to cause blood around a beak are being pecked there or having Infectious Laryngotracheitis (sp?), known as ILT, which causes blood to be slung around, but if it's just a drop, no gagging, coughing or slinging gunk around, no idea. Is it on the comb or the beak, though? Wasn't exactly sure from your post. Could you post a picture of it for us?

6. Over Easy PA

Jul 8, 2011
    Sorry - no photos. This happened yesterday afternoon and I didn't think to take a picture. They really seem fine today! It was so odd. A tiny drop, right where the beak joins the head and the comb begins to form -- kind of on top of where the nostrils are. (hmmm. maybe a nose bleed of some kind?) They seem normal today, though. We're in for another super hot afternoon, so I'll be checking on them frequently!

7. Over Easy PA

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:They are seeming fine today -- eating, drinking, pooping as usual. So I guess I'm not going to worry about it too much. Just if it happens again today, I'll be yelling for help to figure this out! Thanks!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you see it again, please run for your camera. I'd like to see it so I can make a better suggestion.

9. catcat

catcat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    (This is my first post here, so please forgive if I'm not doing this right.) I just found five of my six pullets have exactly this issue this morning. There's a drop of blood just where the beak and comb meet. I'm relieved to hear that this resolved itself quickly for the original poster here, so i won't panic. But has anyone heard of this since last posting on this thread? There's no odd behavior, no swelling, just a fresh little drop of blood.

10. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Gosh, so strange. When I read the original post, my first thought was "Environmental"- as in the chickens are either fighting at the waterer or there's something causing the comb damage in the pen at a common spot- i.e. everyone sticking their heads out of the fence, scraping it on wire at the feeder etc. The waterer just stands out since it's only happening in hot weather. Hmmmm.... would be nice to know the breeds, just for data's sake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by