Swedish Blacks or Overmarked Ancona

Jul 23, 2020
Missouri
After driving over 2 hours to pick up Ancona ducklings, I was surprised at how overmarked they were, but they still had black and yellow on their feet and beaks, so I went ahead and took some home (I did drive a long way!). I also found out after the drive, that I was not purchasing from a breeder, but someone that would purchase from a breeder to resell in the area. They had purchased several breeds, although all were supposed to be pure.

I’m wondering what anyone familiar with both breeds think. I wasn’t familiar with Swedish Blacks to know they had similar marking on their feet as Ancona.

3C0C617A-374F-45AB-B4EA-432B91F792E3.jpeg

Not a great photo, but this shows all seven new babies after picking them up.

C253D8AF-EA87-4C0D-B848-A827F4AADE36.jpeg

One of the smaller babies that are only 3 days old now. You can see some yellow on feet and barely any on the beak

DCF336F5-5FAA-45F1-8D60-F225516E4CD6.jpeg

Another 3 day old. Some have more yellow on the beak than this one.

062C8D66-06A9-4016-B729-A7727C3C5A9C.jpeg

close up of feet.

I had originally planned to only raise Anconas for awhile so I could potential sell fertilized eggs and ducklings. I don’t really want to have to keep the ducks separate, so I haven’t decided yet what I’ll do in the end. I got ducks mostly as part of a hobby farm and didn’t really want more than a few; however I had hopped to make some of my investment back eventually 🤷🏻‍♀️with some small sales.

These babies are quickly becoming pets, so I’m not sure how easy it will be to sell them. That’s yet to be seen.

I would love to know everyone’s thoughts on breed and maybe some on the future.

Beautiful overmarked Anconas. I loved mine. I had some that were even mallard coloration with a white collar. I bred for more white but they really came in quite the range of markings. My favorite were my high white blue spotted ones. Also had splash, black, mallard, and chocolate spotted ones. They were all so fun.

I think yours might be black Swedish. I love that breed of duck they are so pretty.
And your ducklings are super cute!

These are the first day-olds I have had, so I imagine they will be more socialized than my two (almost grown) girls. The runt especially has my heart and we have spent some quality time together.

Back
Top Bottom