SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I'm new here. Last year I convinced my parents to let me get some ducks. I got them at two weeks old, I suspect their hatch date was mid may. They're both Swedish blues, I love them! My girl never laid an egg, when will she start? Is the first one gonna hurt her? How should I prepare for it?
Welcome to BTC Beside all the help from duck owners, on the top of this THREAD, is a whole list of learning tools. Like the LEARNING CENTER up on top. If you want to do thing right for the health of your duck, There are many thing to learn for the health and welfare of you duck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

encourage you to read part of this. Keep that link so you can go back to it when you need to.

Do you just have the two ducks?  Is the drake mating with her a bit too much?  Some ducks do seem to wait till the following spring.

What is the feed you are using?  
I just have two, they used to try to mate in the fall but haven't lately. My mom doesn't want extra ducklings around, and I read somewhere that they can start in march, just trying to be prepared. I use standard poultry feed, the only one offered at my local country store. I also treat them to a banana or vegetables once or twice a week, and periodically train them with peas.

Is the standard poultry feed scratch, or a balanced ration?

If it is not layer feed, I would set out free choice oyster shell on the side, and even consider adding a crushed 100 mg calcium citrate tablet over some of her treats for a calcium boost once every couple of weeks.

Is the standard poultry feed scratch, or a balanced ration?

If it is not layer feed, I would set out free choice oyster shell on the side, and even consider adding a crushed 100 mg calcium citrate tablet over some of her treats for a calcium boost once every couple of weeks.
Perfect! Thank you. I will check. So I should expect the spring?

I would think she should start laying by late spring, anyway.

Is the feed a balanced ration, or just scratch? That is very important. She needs a balanced ration. If you cannot get it at the local feed store, you can do quite a bit to improve her nutrition (which will help prevent health problems for both of them).

Mother Earth News, Joybilee Farm, and even here on the Duck Forum there is information for making a balanced ration for waterfowl.

Back
Top Bottom