SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
DarienBrie, a green sheen on the blacks is a good thing - on both males and females
smile.png
As they get older any males will develop an even greener head. But you won't see that yet.

WestKnollAmy - the chocolate duck you have is the product of the black genes that all Swedish have plus one dose of Brown/Chocolate dilution. Brown dilution is a sex linked recessive gene - that means that females only need one dose to turn them brown but males need two. One of the breeder's males is carrying one Brown dilution gene. It's not enough to show in his feathers (he'd need two doses for that) but he has passed it on to his offspring and it is showing up in his daughters.

Your duck doesn't have any blue genes. If she did she'd be Lilac rather than Chocolate.

70%cocoa :

DarienBrie, a green sheen on the blacks is a good thing - on both males and females
smile.png
As they get older any males will develop an even greener head. But you won't see that yet.

WestKnollAmy - the chocolate duck you have is the product of the black genes that all Swedish have plus one dose of Brown/Chocolate dilution. Brown dilution is a sex linked recessive gene - that means that females only need one dose to turn them brown but males need two. One of the breeder's males is carrying one Brown dilution gene. It's not enough to show in his feathers (he'd need two doses for that) but he has passed it on to his offspring and it is showing up in his daughters.

Your duck doesn't have any blue genes. If she did she'd be Lilac rather than Chocolate.

YAY! i love that you know so much cocoa!!!
big_smile.png

70%cocoa :

Aw, thanks Evelle. Genetics is hard - like a new language. I'm slowly getting the hang of the basics. It does your head in a bit though!

HAHAHA im sure it does!! its all greek to me
tongue.png
someday ill have to study up on it i love to tell people what i know..
i tryed to tell my brother how blue was a hard color to breed.. when he asked me why... i drew a blank and told him JUST BECAUSE IT IS!
tongue.png

110807_100_0072.jpg

thisis my gurl lucky ( thought she was a boy until i started finding eggs laying over the run and coop) i ordered 6 (3 boys and 3 gurls) from efowl.com and when i picked them up from the post office she is all that was left. she is about 10 months old and lays me an egg every day.

so last week i ran across these 2 ( supposed to be boys) they looked to be the same breed well one black and one blue, im not breeding to show i jkust wanted her to have some company . i have a 2 acre pond and they love it

Digger, I wonder if your 'black' one is actually chocolate. Looks quite brown to me, although it might just be the light. If it is quite brown in real life I'm willing to bet it's a girl. They both look like they have a good shape.

Back
Top Bottom