SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have 3 ducklings that are 3 weeks old today - a Pekin, a Cayuga and a Black Swedish.    My daughter has been clicker training them since they were a few days old.     It is amazing how quickly they learn!     If you are interested in seeing a few of the tricks, here are the links to the videos.   Enjoy!

Thank you for posting these treats. I absolutely loved them. I'm amazed how fast they learned. Such cuties.

I May be asking this prematurely and if so ill be posting pictures of my new hatchlings... but my question is this, my sweedish blue duck went broody around Easter and laid 2 eggs. A couple days later she was stealing the other ducks eggs that were in the nest next to her including the wood ones... so she ended up with 8 eggs I took the wood ones out... she was a good mom and sat on them and took short breakes to bath eat and poop and would run back quaking to her nest. Mothers day we checked them and all were mostly black with a air sack all looked about the same some more air sack then others... Wednesday 3 hatched and she stayed in there with them until Thursday. She brought them outside and went on a stroll and was out there most of the day leaving the 5 that were left buried. I made her go back In the afternoon to lay on them... this morning i checked and there still not hashed...is this normal do I need to do anything? Should I be worried about them?

Attachments

• 20170518_142500.jpg
    20170518_142500.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 10
I May be asking this prematurely and if so ill be posting pictures of my new hatchlings... but my question is this, my sweedish blue duck went broody around Easter and laid 2 eggs. A couple days later she was stealing the other ducks eggs that were in the nest next to her including the wood ones... so she ended up with 8 eggs I took the wood ones out... she was a good mom and sat on them and took short breakes to bath eat and poop and would run back quaking to her nest. Mothers day we checked them and all were mostly black with a air sack all looked about the same some more air sack then others... Wednesday 3 hatched and she stayed in there with them until Thursday. She brought them outside and went on a stroll and was out there most of the day leaving the 5 that were left buried. I made her go back In the afternoon to lay on them... this morning i checked and there still not hashed...is this normal do I need to do anything? Should I be worried about them?

So sweet!! Congrats!

normally they won't get up until all have hatched. Maybe if she gets off the eggs tomorrow, you can candle them and look for movement, drawdown, internal pips, etc. It's like they have a sixth sense of whether they are viable or not.
good luck!

So sweet!! Congrats!

normally they won't get up until all have hatched. Maybe if she gets off the eggs tomorrow, you can candle them and look for movement, drawdown, internal pips, etc. It's like they have a sixth sense of whether they are viable or not.
good luck!

When I got home last night there was one more duckling. It was a bit slower then the others and was getting left behind we put them all in the coop last night and woke up to it dead... it looked like the mom had killed it :-( really sad today not sure if ill want to do this again.

When I got home last night there was one more duckling. It was a bit slower then the others and was getting left behind we put them all in the coop last night and woke up to it dead... it looked like the mom had killed it :-( really sad today not sure if ill want to do this again.

i have two Swedish ducks (not sure of what gender they are) but do they make good mothers (like to they go broody or should i use one of the silkies or cochins we have) am hoping for a male and female. :)

oh sorry to hear that. My hen hatched 10 last summer. One was blind and kept getting left behind. I found it dead in the run one morning, and another one missing, never did find it. But the other 8 are all well and good today, will be a year old next month. I swear, I think they know when something is wrong with one, and they do the hard part so we don't have to.

Should I take the remaining eggs and incubate them my self?

you sure can! But she may or may not raise them, so just make a plan for what to do if she wants nothing to do with them.

i have two Swedish ducks (not sure of what gender they are) but do they make good mothers (like to they go broody or should i use one of the silkies or cochins we have) am hoping for a male and female. :)

Mine is an excellent momma! Hopefully others will chime in also.

Back
Top Bottom