SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome. I don't think she's a mix, some cayugas have a little bit of white on their chest and some don't. It just depends on the bird, and whatever she is, all I can say is she's cute! :lol:

My Swedish girl Gabby came from Metzer Farms and was banded as a black swedish. She is 7 weeks old in this picture. Will she get darker or is she really a blue swedish?
Gabby.jpg
Either way I think she is a beauty

Your silver appleyard looks just like mine! How old?

Aww! My hen, Hedwig, is about 5-5 and a half months old.

My Swedish girl Gabby came from Metzer Farms and was banded as a black swedish. She is 7 weeks old in this picture. Will she get darker or is she really a blue swedish?View attachment 1084298 Either way I think she is a beauty

Gabby is very pretty, but I think she is a blue runner not a Blue Swedish. Here are some pictures of Luna my blue runner hen and on the bottom my Blue Swedish hen, Rowena. Hope you find this helpful.
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2438.jpg

Thank you! That does help. Mine looks just like yours when is was a duckling for sure. I don't believe mine is upright enough to be a runner, but I could see Cayuga now. It's just that your Swedish's wings have the same sheen to them also. I guess it doesn't really matter! But I think I can call her a Cayuga. Do you know if it's normal for her to have white on her chest if she's a Cayuga? Maybe mine is a mix!
I had a Cayuga that every time she molted she got a little more white on her chest. Just a feather or two. Sadly a bobcat got her when she was about a year. So can't help you on an older bird. Sorry

On the Metzer Farms website, it states that as cayugas get older they do continually replace black with white feathers. And once they reach a certain age they will go completely white.

we are on our second year hatching with broody hens, we had one suproize us had a hidden nest outside with 3 (2 blues and a black) the other hen inside hatched out evenly with blue, black and splash colorings. My friend calls them all blue but they can produce other colors depending on the mating, there is a blue and a black swede drake in the flock, if you breed blue on blue you tend to get more black ones and black on black tends to get more blues. They forage well, do not fly. They are pretty friendly and yep love their treats if you need to move them, also good once out of the brooder to teach them to be herded for easy moving when needed.

My friend is trying to recover her account info as she has fertilized eggs and will be selling ducklings next year

Back
Top Bottom