SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Our 10-day-old mama-hatched Swedish ducklings got to take their first stroll outside today
smile.png
We're enjoying them so much - just love this breed!

Our 10-day-old mama-hatched Swedish ducklings got to take their first stroll outside today :) We're enjoying them so much - just love this breed!
They are adorable! They hatched aug 4th right? Ours are the same age, I can't wait to get a black one

Yes, the 4th - I'll never forget that Sunday! We really didn't expect this duck to be successful so were happily surprised to see she'd proved us wrong!

We have just one Swedish drake - a black. Started out with five but that didn't work at all - they got too aggressive as they got older. Fortunately we were able to re-home the four to a nice neighbor. We kept the one with the best markings and nicest personality.

The brooder mama is a blue so it was fun to get a mix. Actually, we don't know exactly who laid the eggs that hatched since the Swedish all lay in the same nest. All of our gals are blue so I guess we'll never know - lol!

Did you just end up with 2 hatchlings? It's always good when the ones you can't keep go to good homes ESP if you know the person! I love your polish in your pic btw. I have a silver and gold one that I got with the ducks & I'm getting a buff and blue shipped 9/30

I know this may come as a very silly question but my lil swede started laying 3 days ago. The first was partially covered by the wood chips in their house but I saw it and took it, the second and third were just laying in the middle of the house not cared for. The super silly question that I have is, did she get upset that I took her egg and now doesn't care where where she plops them? Should I make my husband take the eggs out so she won't get upset with me? I showed her this morning that I was taking it and she quacked up a storm at me!
Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png

Yes, we only ended up with two healthy hatchlings. There was another nice-looking black that hatched out completely but then it looked like he got suffocated by mama duck. Very sad. We did put them in a brooder as soon as possible to keep them safe from the drake and our Buff geese, and also to prevent any more accidents. We felt like it was mean to the duck, but we would have felt terrible if we'd lost any more.

We love our Polish! The one in the pic is Leia - just a sweetie. We also have a Silver Laced roo and a white crested black female. I will not get another roo - he's gorgeous to look at but is always trying to spur us!

I know this may come as a very silly question but my lil swede started laying 3 days ago. The first was partially covered by the wood chips in their house but I saw it and took it, the second and third were just laying in the middle of the house not cared for. The super silly question that I have is, did she get upset that I took her egg and now doesn't care where where she plops them? Should I make my husband take the eggs out so she won't get upset with me? I showed her this morning that I was taking it and she quacked up a storm at me!
Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png
I doubt she's upset with you, but that's something I would worry about too
smile.png
For about the first year they were laying, our Swedish girls would just lay wherever. Never knew where one might turn up. But into their second year they seemed to get more organized about it and started making very nice nests to lay in. They just seemed to need to mature to a certain point. One actually just hatched out her first ducklings at two years old. I'd give your little girl more time - she'll get the hang of it!

Mine is laying wherever. I have got a egg from her for 3 days now. She may have been laying before but they was free. Now I have all ducks in a 30x10x27 and not sure the last side. They are safe now.

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can help?? I was convinced that I had magpie ducks but now I'm not sure if they are Swedish? It's my first time owning ducks and I have 3 adults and now 3 babies.
I really don't mind which breed I have but I'd just like to know. They are very cute and friendly.
It's also my first time asking a question so hopefully my pics will upload lol
Thanks in advance
Michelle
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom