that does not have a crest does not necessarily mean that duckling does not
carry the crested gene.

That Is from my source that u gave me the link to

I did not provide that link.

Here is the correct information.

What is pertinent to this conversation is BOLDED

http://www.metzerfarms.com/Articles/CrestedDucksUnusualBrains.pdf
Also this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crested_duck_(breed)
The domestic Crested Duck is a duckbreed descended from the Mallard. It has its appearance because it is heterozygousfor a genetic mutation causing a deformity of the skull. As a result, when a pair of crested ducks breed, the young sort out in the usual 1-2-1 ratio:-

25% are homozygous for the normal allele of this gene and so have no crest and if bred together their offspring will never have a crest.

50% are heterozygous for this gene and hatch with a crest of varying sizes.

25% are homozygous for the crestedallele of this gene and die from exposedbrain without hatching, as it is lethal in homozygous form.

If a crested duck and a non-crested duck breed together, the resulting ducklings would be expected to be 50% crested and 50% non-crested.

So hard to say with genetics! My 'White' duck is a leucistic Swedish. I would have sworn she was a pekin, but here are pics of her 7 babies. The drake is a Khaki Campbell. Christian could be a mix, or part leucistic - I have learned that 15% of swedish are born yellow or yellowish and are missing at least some pigmentation. Also, a pair of mallards at my lake had 2 total white babies one year, so????? All I can say is that you have cute ducks
big_smile.png

...And yes that is an ashtray - it was cheaper than a plastic bowl and right size for brooder
wink.png

The ashtray is a great idea by the way! And your Swedes are gorgeous! Are they all black?

We just had a Black Swedish born this morning... Our 3rd Swedish born to a mom and dad Mallard. The first two were Blue. Now we finally have a Black Swedish!

He's a beauty!! LOVE my surprise Swedes!!

He's a squirmy little thing! It was very hard to get him to hold still long enough to to get a good picture. His bib folds all the way under his belly, which I know is out of specs. He has the yellow on his face that I don't remember the other two having. But then, even 100% Swedish are hard to perfect. I wonder what will happen if this is a male and he has babies with Tetsin next Spring! SO curious!

I was told this little girl ( R.i.p ) looked like a Swedish duckling , however she's not she's a Cayuga Rouen mix with mallard on the Cayuga side . Her sibling had even more yellow from under the bill to expanding of the chest ( r.i.p )

sadly both did die the first from I hate to say me but she crawled into bed with me and you know what happened I cried for weeks , still very upset . The second was pre mature sorry I don't have a pic of it .

Who told you that is definitely not a Swedish? Looks like a Black Swedish to me. My two mallards had 2 Blue Swedish and 1 Black Swedish, and that's just the ones that hatched in my daughter's make-shift incubator. They are ducks from the wild and I suppose they must be carrying a Swedish gene in there somewhere.

He is a doll! I love the yellow on face
big_smile.png

Out of 7 ducklings we had 5 black drakes and 2 brown ducks. Papa Drake is the Khaki Campbell in my avatar. We hatched Swedish Campbells
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom