SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Hi there,
I fairly new to ducks but originally just got 5 rouens, ended up with 2 drakes and 3 hens. I was told that wasn't a good ratio so I advertised for some fully feathered hens that I could better the ratio with. Well, took me awhile but found someone who had some for me. He told me they were black swedes but a couple have very little to no white on them. 6 hens all together. They are just a hair smaller than my rouens, so good size but far braver than the rouens. He told me they were just at 4 months, my rouens are 14 weeks now. Here's some pics of them, munching with the rouens lol. Let me know if ya'll think they're full breeds. If so, I'll get them a blue male next spring and seperate the breeds.

Hi there,
I fairly new to ducks but originally just got 5 rouens, ended up with 2 drakes and 3 hens. I was told that wasn't a good ratio so I advertised for some fully feathered hens that I could better the ratio with. Well, took me awhile but found someone who had some for me. He told me they were black swedes but a couple have very little to no white on them. 6 hens all together. They are just a hair smaller than my rouens, so good size but far braver than the rouens. He told me they were just at 4 months, my rouens are 14 weeks now. Here's some pics of them, munching with the rouens lol. Let me know if ya'll think they're full breeds. If so, I'll get them a blue male next spring and seperate the breeds.

They look nice. As for being pure bread not sure. We just got our duck's a few months ago.. Ours are silver Swedish.. I think we have a pair, very happy for that.. Keep us posted & very happy you posted photos...

cppeace, our Black Swed hen has very little white. I'm not sure if there is a certain amount of white required but I did read that if the bib goes completely around the neck they are not show quality. You did good by adding more hens
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I'm not currently interested in showing and two have decent proportion bibs just kind of splotchy. The breeder I got them from told me they were black swedes. Overall they seem to fit the profile, the smallest of swedes has no white that I've seen. I've read they're on the watch list so next spring I'll be on the lookout for them a blue drake, with a good bib and the white wing tips to throw some possible better proportions on the swedes. My rouens are very pretty in my opinion, but are much easier to find near me.
Your silver swedes are very pretty :)

Last edited:
Oh and on the facebook group I'm in they told me my ducks prolly won't start laying till spring, but I've seen folks on here say their's started in like december. What's ya'll opinion? I was going to change them to laying pellets next week when their bag of grower runs out but not worry about laying boxes till spring since they said that's when they'd start laying.
They have our whole backyard to range in a kiddie pool to play in, they sleep in it too:p, I have a door I leave open for them that leads to a fenced off area of the garage for them if they need shelter, but they don't really go in there. Our dogs ignore them when we mix them. So all in all I say they have a decent setup.

I'm not currently interested in showing and two have decent proportion bibs just kind of splotchy. The breeder I got them from told me they were black swedes. Overall they seem to fit the profile, the smallest of swedes has no white that I've seen. I've read they're on the watch list so next spring I'll be on the lookout for them a blue drake, with a good bib and the white wing tips to throw some possible better proportions on the swedes. My rouens are very pretty in my opinion, but are much easier to find near me.
Your silver swedes are very pretty
smile.png

O gosh, I'm not interested in showing either, lol but I thought I'd mention it... maybe the bib ratio determines if they are pure bred??
idunno.gif
Here's a picture of our black Swed. It's not a good one because she is laying down but this is pretty much all the white she has.

Oh and on the facebook group I'm in they told me my ducks prolly won't start laying till spring, but I've seen folks on here say their's started in like december. What's ya'll opinion? I was going to change them to laying pellets next week when their bag of grower runs out but not worry about laying boxes till spring since they said that's when they'd start laying.
They have our whole backyard to range in a kiddie pool to play in, they sleep in it too:p, I have a door I leave open for them that leads to a fenced off area of the garage for them if they need shelter, but they don't really go in there. Our dogs ignore them when we mix them. So all in all I say they have a decent setup.

We bought storey's guide to raising ducks.. He gives a complete rations for adult duck's.. I can pst the ingredients after my cell hone is charged.. Ths is a wonderful book..

Hmm see yours has kinda brownish head, believe it's called rust. None of mine have brown that I've seen. Brown is instant fault in a swede from what I've heard. I'm primarily just interested in preserving the breed now that I know more about it. I love all you duckie people :)

Oh and I'm not criticing your swede, she's lovely. Personally I think all colors should be allowed as long as they have good body, shape and bib.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom