SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
also when you refered to the white eyeliner did you mean in my drake? i know he is not perfect but he's all i have to work with at the moment untill some of the ducklings grow up.. i have only got silvers from them sooo far..

i had been collecting eggs in batches of 10 and using 2 incubators one for incubation and one for hatching... the things you do with minium eggs..
i had problems with a power outage the power went out for well over 24 hours...we got flooded in and the cord of my generator broke.. i felt very defeated!!!!

but with wishful thinking i decided to keep them going after the power came on 3 batches of 10 were effected!!!!
hit.gif

so far 2 batches have hatched and i have 3 silver duclikings..
my last batch that was effected by the power outage is due to hatch in a few days so fingers crossed for one or 2 more...

i was amazed that any hatched at all... it shows the being optimistic sometimes pays

i have one batch of ten eggs that was not effected by the power outage my fingers are crossed for a decent number from the ten uneffected by the the power :) after i set batch 4 my duck laid her last 2 eggs before going off the lay!!! i set the last 2 eggs as well lol

so you never know i might get some more babys grown before the start of the next breeding season :)

I love this color and it is one of my favorites, "show" quality or not, it is beautiful.
Silver, or maybe it's lavender. This color is called different things in different breeds. Ducklings are brown, have the proper bib. Adults are darker silver than the Splash adults. This is not a showable color, but the duck is purebred Swedish.

86649_swedish_lavender_3_mo.jpg

I love this color and it is one of my favorites, "show" quality or not, it is beautiful.

Stormview, I thought she looked like one of Kylie's :) I have three of Kylie's ducks that I had shipped here.

Your new blue girl is the one I was taking about with the white eyeliner. She seems to have a white line behind her eye, which may be why Kylie sold her as a duckling. Otherwise she looks like a real beauty. With the white eye line, just try to select offspring without it, or with only a tiny line. None of my adult birds have white eye lines but some of their ducklings still do. So it is one of those things that crops up. I have only kept offspring without it. I've found that if the line is only tiny it usually disappears by about 7 weeks of age.

I think you've done well to find that blue duck and I hope you get some lovely babies out of her.

In the future at some point I might be keeping an eye out for a good black drake. One with no brown in him. A black drake will help to keep a strong colour in your blue offspring. But see what you get from your current trio first.

It's great that you got something out of your hatches despite all the dramas... I saw your ducklings on BYP. They are gorgeous!

it will be very interesting to see how she looks when she gets here...
cant wait untill she is safe and home with us ill take more pics of my trio when she comes out of quarinteen at my place :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my long term breeding goals
for my swedish ducks

i plan to get myself a nice black drake in the future..
and i will be keeping all of my silver girls..
then i can run the out cross black drake over them

this will give me 100% blue ducklings- well thats what the genetic calulator is telling me :)

will be interesting to see how true the therory is!

i will probaly keep a silver drake as a spare also..
ill probably use him over my blue ducks so i can keep producing some nice silvers as well :)

will take a bit of time for me to get there.. but slowly does it...
this is my long term breeding goal for my swedish ducks :)

Last edited:
Hi. I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Trav. This is my second attempt with ducks. I am a little better prepared this time. Just got six random ducks from Atwoods. I have no idea what kind they are but from looking at the duckling pics on the site it looks like I have 2 swedes. :)

it will be very interesting to see how she looks when she gets here...
cant wait untill she is safe and home with us ill take more pics of my trio when she comes out of quarinteen at my place :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my long term breeding goals
for my swedish ducks

i plan to get myself a nice black drake in the future..
and i will be keeping all of my silver girls..
then i can run the out cross black drake over them

this will give me 100% blue ducklings- well thats what the genetic calulator is telling me :)

will be interesting to see how true the therory is!

i will probaly keep a silver drake as a spare also..
ill probably use him over my blue ducks so i can keep producing some nice silvers as well :)

will take a bit of time for me to get there.. but slowly does it...
this is my long term breeding goal for my swedish ducks :)

Sounds like an excellent plan.

Black to silver will give 100% blue - the theory works :) I have got nice rich blues out of a black and silver pair.

It's definitely good to think of breeding as a 'long game'.

I am not breeding Swedes this year after all. My very valuable (and cuddly) Black Rust hen (my only hen at this point) went in to lay an egg this moring d had a fatal hemorage. (*sobs*) That duck was among the most valuable ducks in the country! Dead! No! I still have two Blue non-Rust drakes, though.

Back
Top Bottom