SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I was told I should come here and ask yalls opinion lol. I was informed that the duck in question might be a Swede... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also Im pretty sure its a girl because she is about 8 weeks old and quacks very distinctly.

She has the right colouring and pattern for a Swedish duck. If she is quacking loudly then she's a she for sure :)

Whether or not she is a pure bred is something you could only tell by getting offspring from her (black colur and bibs are dominant, so in single doses they can hide other recessive genes that Swedish shouldn't have).

But from the outside at least she definitely looks all Swedish! Swedish should be a fairly solid looking duck so when she is older (in a month or so) she should look much chunkier in the body. She is looking pretty good at this stage but you'd want to see her chest fill out a bit more once she's out of the baby stage. She's a pretty little girl :)

I think that the female I listed earlier is a mix because shes about 3 months now and still pretty small. But my black (boy?) is getting pretty chunky and Im pretty sure hes a Swede too.

His tail got messed up by a rather rambunctious rooster while out on an escape run but Im pretty sure I spied a drake feather so he will sadly be leaving us soon
sad.png

I just want to list him with the right information so is this a Swede?

Im hatching Black Swedish ducks and 3 other breeds. I only have 2 Black Swedish eggs so i hope at least one hatches... They are a pretty breed! Love all the pics!

Last edited:
We have a bunch of ducklings that are the result of uncontrolled breeding. The possible fathers are a black Swedish and a Blue Swedish. There are nine possible mothers: 5 black Swedish, 4 hybrid layers, and 1 buff. We'll be narrowing down the number of ducklings and want to focus on the Swedish going forward. But, the vast majority of these ducklings look like black Swedish. Some are clearly mutts and some are all white. Some are blue. Those are easy to separate out. But that leaves a lot of ducklings that look like black Swedish, except perhaps for their bills.

So, the question is: is it possible to tell the difference between a true Swedish duck and a mixed breed with dominant black coloring that just looks Swedish?

If I understand the genetics, I think we are safe with ducklings that look like blues - if it looks like a blue Swedish, it probably is. Is that right? It is the blacks that pose a bigger problem.

She might be a light colored splash Swedish. I can see some speckling in the feathers and she is not white. I'll have to go outsde and look at teh bill color on my splash Swedish duck, but I'm pretty sure it is not black.

On the other hand, hatchery ducks often do not have the correct bill color, and if you don't know what she is, you probably don't know who the parents are, either. Other breeds of duck beside Swedish come in blue and any breed that has the blue gene can produce a splash colored duck.

I think she is gorgeous, whatever breed or mix she might be. I can see a small little circle on her breast with no ticking, so she looks at least part Swedish to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom