Swedish Flower Hen Chicks and Adult Coloring

cheddarbabe

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
Hi everyone!
We are new chicken owners and after much research picked up 4 Swedish flower hen chicks a week ago. They are now a little over a week old. I had a question regarding their coloring. I've seen that the SFH chicks come in brown yellow and black yellow. We have a batch of 4 black-yellow. Does this have any impact on their future coloring/mottling? For example bc we have 4 black-yellows the chances are unlikely we'll get adults with a brown base or cream base? Or is there 0 correlation and they're just a bag of surprise ☺️?

I've also noticed that the first feathers they have coming in are all some variation of black/white...same question here - is this a predictor of final color or could one still end up as a brown/cream adult? I've read that with some breeds e.g Australorps the first feathers are not indicative of final coloring, but wasn't sure if that was also true for SFH.

Thanks in advance!!
20240415_181357.jpg
20240415_102914.jpg

hello @cheddarbabe - welcome to BYC :frow and congratulations on your very cute SFH chicks.

I've had them since 2017 and they've all been surprises. If the person who sold them to you would send photos of the parents, you might get a better idea of how they'll turn out.

Back
Top Bottom