Swedish Flower Hen Eggs -- almost there!

Xouie

Crowing
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
One point: I'm a quail person... Just quail... Had ducks, geese, chickens, peafowl, even pheasants at one point in history. But for a few years now we're strictly quail when we raise birds. Yet somehow, after just a few weeks of cooing over pictures of fluffy chick butts here on BYC, there are now 26 Swedish flower eggs in the incubators. I don't know how. I disavow any involvement in driving an hour to a farm to pick them up, my son cradling the precious cargo all the way back and talking to them about how great their new home will be, etc.

We're already 16 days into the incubation period. I have all these questions and ideas. I can't stop researching answers and looking at others' hatch results posts. How can I be so excited about this?!?!?

The thing I've really been wondering is -- is it normal to be this excited over a new hatch (a breed we haven't had before), or is this some kind of translation of cabin fever? I'm not sure who's more anxious, me or my kiddo! The anticipation feels like waiting for a big birthday party or something.

One point: I'm a quail person... Just quail... Had ducks, geese, chickens, peafowl, even pheasants at one point in history. But for a few years now we're strictly quail when we raise birds. Yet somehow, after just a few weeks of cooing over pictures of fluffy chick butts here on BYC, there are now 26 Swedish flower eggs in the incubators. I don't know how. I disavow any involvement in driving an hour to a farm to pick them up, my son cradling the precious cargo all the way back and talking to them about how great their new home will be, etc.

We're already 16 days into the incubation period. I have all these questions and ideas. I can't stop researching answers and looking at others' hatch results posts. How can I be so excited about this?!?!?

The thing I've really been wondering is -- is it normal to be this excited over a new hatch (a breed we haven't had before), or is this some kind of translation of cabin fever? I'm not sure who's more anxious, me or my kiddo! The anticipation feels like waiting for a big birthday party or something.
Yes! My Avatar is Matcha! She is almost white in coloring and light shades of tan and grays. I have three. I have my first back yard flock of Nine hens and got three different breeds. I wished I had got all SFH but I like my Creme Legbars and Black Lavender Orpingtons too. However the Hens are my faves. They are just sweet and curious BUT always nice. They will always come to you if you spend time with them and talk or even sing to them. They love the sound of your voice to keep them calm. It really works. They are so smart. My SFH are so so smart. Matcha is always the first to try a new food for me. She is my lead hen as far as I am concerned. She does lead them and they all love her I know. They are 8 weeks old and still comfort one another by sleeping in clumps if it’s cool enough. They are big though and do the pecking order chest bumping thing. I don’t have a roo though thank goodness. You will love them. If you love quail my Legbars are giant spitting images of the most beautiful quail there are though. Let me know if you are ever interested. They are good chickens too. Very nice ones. Good luck to you. You have not gone wrong and they will be cold hardy birds.

Back
Top Bottom