Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi there!
I found the SFH last spring when picking out my very first chickens to raise- but unfortunately I wasn't able to find any available locally. I was only looking for a few pullets to start my flock and I could only find online hatcheries that had minimum orders way above my criteria. I'm looking to add 3-4 new babies to my flock this spring and I would LOVE to add some of the SFH (and possibly a blue laced barnevelder); I adore their coloring and I'm also looking forward to their demeanor as my almost 3 year old LOVES our current flock and has named each hen and gives them pets and hugs whenever she gets the chance. I am also drawn to the fact that they're a seemingly rare breed and I'd like to one day join in breedinging them to help them flourish!
I live in upstate NY and I'm looking for a nearby breeder who offers chicks in small numbers. I'd really like to avoid shipping babies and I'm not equipped to hatch eggs. Are chicks able to be sexed? I currently have 6 hens, and although a roo wouldn't be the end of the world, I love the flock dynamic we currently have. (We also have 3 male guineas and a female that free range with the chickens during the day and are separated at night in the coop.
Sorry for the huge intro... Glad I found this board though and I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge in this adorable breed! Thank you in advance!!

Wooded Acres

@wooded acres
I also have a breeding group of SFH, as well as @Raven625. Not sure where in NY you are, but there's a few of us here.
No, the chicks can't be sexed, but I do raise started pullets per request. They are beautiful chickens!

Here's a few of mine:

Welcome to the Swedish Flower Hen thread and your newest addiction! LOL Try @Melabella for chicks in NY.

THank you KYTin!
Hi there!
I found the SFH last spring when picking out my very first chickens to raise- but unfortunately I wasn't able to find any available locally. I was only looking for a few pullets to start my flock and I could only find online hatcheries that had minimum orders way above my criteria. I'm looking to add 3-4 new babies to my flock this spring and I would LOVE to add some of the SFH (and possibly a blue laced barnevelder); I adore their coloring and I'm also looking forward to their demeanor as my almost 3 year old LOVES our current flock and has named each hen and gives them pets and hugs whenever she gets the chance. I am also drawn to the fact that they're a seemingly rare breed and I'd like to one day join in breedinging them to help them flourish!
I live in upstate NY and I'm looking for a nearby breeder who offers chicks in small numbers. I'd really like to avoid shipping babies and I'm not equipped to hatch eggs. Are chicks able to be sexed? I currently have 6 hens, and although a roo wouldn't be the end of the world, I love the flock dynamic we currently have. (We also have 3 male guineas and a female that free range with the chickens during the day and are separated at night in the coop.
Sorry for the huge intro... Glad I found this board though and I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge in this adorable breed! Thank you in advance!!

Wooded Acres
Hello! I am also in New York, and can accommodate you in any way you wish. I am located in Dutchess County, NY, so not sure if we are reasonalbe driving distance to each other. I also can arrange to meet, as I head up the Taconic several times a month to go to Saratoga, and can arrange reasonable driving meet ups along that route as well. I also have something that may be of interest to you. Since you seem to have a backyard flock for enjoyment, and don't have a rooster, safe to assume I may have some girls you might be interested in. I also am running a test hatch at the moment, and have 4 available eggs for sale assuming they hatch. They are only a week in and I can also set up to 24 eggs at a time for custom hatching. I have 4 pullets available for sale. They are wonderful and healthy, but due to several factors i have decided not to use them in my breeding stock. 2 are about to lay any day, and two are all ready laying. All are under a year old. I can send you pictures of them if you so desire. I also have a young cockerel that they have been living with, unrelated to them, and so far, at 5 months of age has shown no human aggression of any kind. Let me know if you would be interested in any of these situations, and I will certainly send you pictures of the 4 pullets available if you should be interested.

Thank you!
Carmela

Hello! I am also in New York, and can accommodate you in any way you wish. I am located in Dutchess County, NY, so not sure if we are reasonalbe driving distance to each other. I also can arrange to meet, as I head up the Taconic several times a month to go to Saratoga, and can arrange reasonable driving meet ups along that route as well. I also have something that may be of interest to you. Since you seem to have a backyard flock for enjoyment, and don't have a rooster, safe to assume I may have some girls you might be interested in. I also am running a test hatch at the moment, and have 4 available eggs for sale assuming they hatch. They are only a week in and I can also set up to 24 eggs at a time for custom hatching. I have 4 pullets available for sale. They are wonderful and healthy, but due to several factors i have decided not to use them in my breeding stock. 2 are about to lay any day, and two are all ready laying. All are under a year old. I can send you pictures of them if you so desire. I also have a young cockerel that they have been living with, unrelated to them, and so far, at 5 months of age has shown no human aggression of any kind. Let me know if you would be interested in any of these situations, and I will certainly send you pictures of the 4 pullets available if you should be interested.

Thank you!
Carmela

I thought that perhaps you were the same one on the Facebook SFH groups with those beautiful hens.
smile.png
I'd love to get SFH from you as well, and you're 2+ hours from us, so it's not too far, esp if we could meet part way.
So, those pullets aren't for breeding stock, or could they be with an unrelated rooster? I could do chicks or hatching eggs also, but I have some "bachelor" roosters that would like some unrelated females. Whatever would help improve the variety in my SFH flock.

Last edited:
Hello, @Wooded acres!
As myfivegirls mentioned, I do have a breeding flock of Swedes. I can accommodate with started birds a bit later in the year. Ill be growing out most of my chicks but will be happy to hatch you a batch if I'm your closest breeder. Located 25 miles south of Albany in Hannacroix.

Good luck in whatever you decide, you'll love these birds!

Hi,

Great thread! I have had chicken on and off for 15 years but I am new to Swedish Flower Hens. I just purchased hatching eggs. I am trying to determine what import they are from so I can find some unrelated hatching eggs. The woman I purchased the eggs from said she bought her birds at the Newnan GA chicken show in Feb. 2014. Does anyone know who was there selling SF chicks or hatching eggs?

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom