Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Sunnyskies - I have three same problem here in PA, shipped SFH don't hatch well. I keep trying. I have a batch now that is 50% 12days in. Just hoping to get some going.
From last years hatches I have one pullet and five cockerels most of them are going to be going in the freezer, soon. I'm about an hour from Baltimore. I would love to get a grew people nearby raising them.
Here is my pullet and a few of the guys.

Sunnyskies - I have three same problem here in PA, shipped SFH don't hatch well. I keep trying. I have a batch now that is 50% 12days in. Just hoping to get some going.
From last years hatches I have one pullet and five cockerels most of them are going to be going in the freezer, soon. I'm about an hour from Baltimore. I would love to get a grew people nearby raising them.
Here is my pullet and a few of the guys.
That's a very pretty hen.

I have had excellent luck shipping and receiving SFH eggs recently. Sent 7 and 6 hatched from NY to the midwest. Received 9 and hatched 7.
th.gif

Saw an ad on craigslist for Swedish Flower hen chicks right down the road from me. She is selling them straight run for $1.00. Yes one dollar! I almost cant resist! Can SFH be sexed as 2 day old or 1 week old chicks?

Saw an ad on craigslist for Swedish Flower hen chicks right down the road from me. She is selling them straight run for $1.00. Yes one dollar! I almost cant resist! Can SFH be sexed as 2 day old or 1 week old chicks?
wow $1.00 holy cow I woould buy em up......you better make sure they are pure bred first,

Alright EVERYONE, I NEED ALL the help I can possibly get! I have recently been working with the ALBC ( American Livestock Breed Conservancy) and I am getting this going if it kills me! I have been emailing them now and I am trying my hardest to get this breed recognized with them as a bird to help!! This is really exciting for me she is going to help me as much as she can to get the Swedish Flower Hen an American listed breed!! I am so excited.....Here is what she said iin our last email..........
Dear Justin,
Love your enthusiasm! In order for the US population to contribute to saving the breed, it needs more than just listing with ALBC. First and foremost is to work together with other breeders using the principles of conservation breeding. If you look back at the criteria for poultry, you’ll see that a large flock is defined as 50 or more breeding birds. That’s what is needed for the kind of genetic diversity needed to save a breed. Luckily, those 50 birds don’t have to be all at one farm, if a group of farmers commit together to exchange breeding stock on a regular basis.
The best thing you could do to help save the Swedish Flower chicken is to organize the breeders and, together, practice conservation breeding. ALBC has excellent materials available to members or for purchase about conservation breeding and how to balance it with selection for productivity.

Another thing you can do is to see if a breed standard is available from Sweden (and get it translated to English). This is important so that breeders agree from the get-go on what the breed is. Also important down the road for getting a breed accepted by APA.

Finally, you should document as much as possible about the breed history. It’s important to know if it is a fairly recent composite in Sweden or, if it has a long history, try to get as much of that history as you can. It makes a difference if the lineages can be traced back, or if the breed got very small and had to be resurrected by some crossing. This can be a fun project as you meet other breeders both here and abroad. Greenfire might know some of this history, but it would be good to confirm it with breeders in Sweden. While you’re at it, please find out if the Swedish have any conservation projects for these chickens, sometimes countries conserve their breeds as a national resource (even our country put ‘em in the freezer, i.e. semen and embryo banks).

Looking forward to working with you on next steps! Give me a call sometime.

Cheers,
Alison

So if you guys can either comment here or pm me and help me to the best you possibly can I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance guys, I just hope ALL you guys are up for this adventure with me! She made the comment that people will have to trade stock for breeding and I have a feeling that wont be a problem here, everyone is so generous and helpful!! Againg All info or help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated! LETS GET THIS GOING!!!!!

wow $1.00 holy cow I woould buy em up......you better make sure they are pure bred first,
Any info on attempting to sex them at 2 days and 1 week old? Do the female SFH feather in faster than the males as they do in Wyandottes?

Back
Top Bottom