Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Any info on attempting to sex them at 2 days and 1 week old? Do the female SFH feather in faster than the males as they do in Wyandottes?
sorry I cant help too much I got mine all feathered and really have not had the breed long enough to give you that much help!! I know someone on here can!

I think that is awesome you are trying to get the breed recognized. They are such a gorgeous bird!

Any info on attempting to sex them at 2 days and 1 week old? Do the female SFH feather in faster than the males as they do in Wyandottes?
I have found feather sexing to be fairly accurate, but it needs to be done in the first few days after hatch. Most people say within the first three days. With feather sexing the primary flight feathers on the cockerels will be all long, while the pullets will be alternating long and short. Hold the chick and spread the wing out (like they were flying) You only need to do one side, and either side will do.

Cockerels = llll

Pullets = lilil

Where are you located in Georgia? We are in Fairburn, just southeast of Atlanta. (near Hartesfield/Jackson airport) Glad to see more SFH in Georgia! I know Richard Jordan in Cairo, Ga (EXCELLENT!). There is a guy near Griffin (his place was NASTY), and there is a couple near Augusta that I recently saw on here.

I am near Columbus....I am actually not that far from you, probably 1 hour 15 minutes. .I just spoke to the guy and he is selling the SFH for $3.00 the $1.00 chicks were red stars.....still I think $3.00 is a steal! This is his first year selling them, he wasn't sure how well they would sell around here as most stock is Hatchery RIR, leghorns, rocks...that sort of thing. He said he hatched out some eggs from Greenfire. I am not looking for breeding stock, however he did say that he lets them out to range everyday and has other breeds Cream Legbars, Heritage RIR, redstars,and the Swedish Flower. So I am not sure if they are comingling all day and the chicks are then mixed or what exactly. I would think he would want to keep the stock true. I may have to ask about that further. I may get a few and see how they turn out. Thank You Bernie56 for the feather sexing info! I am not certain if he will let me feather sex them, but if so im going to try. Thank You so much!

He said he hatched out some eggs from Greenfire.
Last I checked, Greenfire doesn't sell hatching eggs, so unless he got stock and then bred them, I'm a little skeptical. But still, you might just want to go ahead and buy them. If they turn out to be SFH's, then great, if not, you haven't paid that much for some chicks.

Actually GFF has been selling hatching egg assortments on Rare Breed Auctions. SFH could have been included in those assortments. They may have had auctions for just the SFH eggs, too; I don't keep up with it enough to know.
You are right they have been. I've seen the listings. The ones I've seen have had SFH eggs in with some others. The add said you get what is laying most at end of auction.

I am near Columbus....I am actually not that far from you, probably 1 hour 15 minutes. .I just spoke to the guy and he is selling the SFH for $3.00 the $1.00 chicks were red stars.....still I think $3.00 is a steal! This is his first year selling them, he wasn't sure how well they would sell around here as most stock is Hatchery RIR, leghorns, rocks...that sort of thing. He said he hatched out some eggs from Greenfire. I am not looking for breeding stock, however he did say that he lets them out to range everyday and has other breeds Cream Legbars, Heritage RIR, redstars,and the Swedish Flower. So I am not sure if they are comingling all day and the chicks are then mixed or what exactly. I would think he would want to keep the stock true. I may have to ask about that further. I may get a few and see how they turn out. Thank You Bernie56 for the feather sexing info! I am not certain if he will let me feather sex them, but if so im going to try. Thank You so much!
$3.00 each for pure Swedish Flowers would be a steal! If you are just looking for "pretty" you probably can't go wrong even if they're mixed. Good luck! Columbus really isn't that far. We used to go to Calloway Gardens quite often in the summer when the kids were small.

Back
Top Bottom