Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi All,

I bought 4 SFH from Papa Brooder at the Stockton show. I have been reading this thread and finally caught up - so I took some pictures to show them off. Two are older and two are younger.

They love cleaning out the Fermented Feed Bucket

One older boy in the bucket - but I don't know about the younger one in front ... supposed to be a girl?

Another shot of the ?? one.. any guesses?

This is the older pullet with the younger ? behind her.

I love the patterns on these, sort of like the Mille Fleur bantams - only bigger and no feather feet!

The comb is darker red than the other one - who I am pretty sure is a pullet and whose comb is orange/yellow. The best picture of ??? comb is behind the big girl - you can see its red there (covered in FF tho). My guess was Roo too...based on the feather colors. But I will wait and see.

Very pretty birds! The ??? one looks like a cockerel to me... although I don't see any wattle development yet. The dark color would be unusual for a pullet/hen. It can be hard to tell until they're a bit older. At any rate, you have some lovely birds there! I love the mille fleur coloration on the hens... I'm hoping I get some with my upcoming hatches. Dad is MF but the moms are all red/white and a splash blue.

Quote: I love the splash blue colored ones too. The younger definite girl is orange/white like the older pullet. Papa picked my birds in the dark and didn't notice he hadn't picked any crested ones, but he is going to send me eggs to set so I have a chance of getting some. I sure hope I get some blue ones and red/white girls too
fl.gif
they are all beautiful!

I have 7 hens and 2 roosters and love them.I have 1 crested hen and have hatched a bunch of chicks.Many are up to 4 mos old.But none are crested.What's up with that?

I have 7 hens and 2 roosters and love them.I have 1 crested hen and have hatched a bunch of chicks.Many are up to 4 mos old.But none are crested.What's up with that?
Your roo is beautiful! I don't know the answer to your question- I have 10 SFHs all are crested, 1 roo & 9 pullets. Mine are just under 3mo old, so not breeding yet. I've heard that both the crested & non can produce both...

Your roo is beautiful! I don't know the answer to your question- I have 10 SFHs all are crested, 1 roo & 9 pullets. Mine are just under 3mo old, so not breeding yet. I've heard that both the crested & non can produce both...
The way I though it was is that if you but a crested roo over non crested hens you should get 50/50% crested and non.....since you only have the one crested you might not get very many crested ones.....if you want more crested get a few pullets or a crested roo and stick over some of them......most people on here have 2 pens set up while breeding (space availiable) one usually has their non crested roo over the crested hens and visa versa!! Good Luck and I hope I am not compltly wrong.....

the crested gene is dominant, so there's a 50% chance that any of her chicks would be crested...

are you hatching ONLY her eggs or an assortment of all of them? it could be she may not be laying as regularly, so only a few of the eggs were hers... otherwise it's just a matter of chance anyways.

I have babies!!!! (Our "Silkiebator" hatched them for us.)

It's never to early to sport the Andy Worhol look!

Last chick is a "runt" compared to it's siblings. Although it had absorbed the entire yolk, there were a lot of blood veins on the inside of the shell, and it lost a lot of blood at hatch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it makes it. It was doing OK by this evening, so we'll see.

Anyone else ever seen an egg like this? (You can tell which one it came out of. The other eggs look very clean inside.)

Last edited:
Quote:

i've seen plenty of eggs like that... looks like he might have started to hatch upside down maybe (or on the side at least) and momma helped him out a bit. even in the incubator i've seen all range of clean to bloody shells from normally hatched chicks. just depends if they drew in all the blood before the vessels closed off.

Back
Top Bottom