Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I could probably leave her where she is. She is in a good sized tractor with just one other hen and the two Silkie roosters I need to sell as PQ birds (although those two have such delightful personalities I hate to part with them). They spend their time in the run, and she sits in the coop, which is actually quite large (I messed up, made it bigger than I planned, but that is Ok, as there is adequate room for a big nest box in there). They don't free range as I found the hens too gentle, so they gor beat up by the rest, and not returning to the coop at night. She complained as I robbed her this morning, and she had the egg, as I robbed her yesterday, in the right place to keep it warm. It's still chilly here, and we could still get snow. Would new hatched babies be ok outside in a coop? If so, I might try.

My SFH babies from February are outside during the day now, thank goodness. I have a small coop with attached run, and it's ideal for the transition.
yes, outside babies will adapt a lot faster than babies raised inside... but, don't give her eggs here and there. give them to her all at once, because she won't get off the nest until the last egg hatches, which means that the oldest chicks might suffer from lack of food/water, if there's more than 24 hours from first to last... if you have an incubator, what i'd do is let her incubate, and once the oldest chick is 24-36 hours old, i'd take any eggs unhatched and put them in the incubator (candle to doublecheck and make sure humidity is pretty high). then any stragglers can be snuck in after dark that evening usually without problems. any later and i wouldn't chance her rejecting them.

what i do, personally, is a bit different. i don't trust broodies to STAY broody. i've had too many get bored and leave half way thru incubation. so i incubate all the eggs myself and give her a couple eggs when they go to lockdown. that lets her hatch a couple naturally (again to make sure she'll be a good momma) and leave some duds in there as well so she'll stay on the nest. then when the rest of the chicks hatch i'll put them in with her after dark and take away the dudd eggs.

lockdown is tomorrow for my next hatch, which is going to the broodies, so i need to get the pen finished ASAP LOL hopefully before it rains this afternoon for part of it...

Last edited:
So far (knock on wood) I've had super luck with my "Silkie-bators!" The breed is just really good at brooding, but that is not to say every bird will be a good mom... just a higher percentage of Silkies seem to be made for it than many other breeds.

I've got 12+ eggs available currently.

JB...the jury is still out on little black. I have some folks conversing about him/her behind the scenes that are more familiar with the blacks. I may have spoken too quickly to say that it wasn't SFH. Stay tuned. :)

She (Little Black) has some flowering... can't wait to hear what happens with this!

JB...the jury is still out on little black. I have some folks conversing about him/her behind the scenes that are more familiar with the blacks. I may have spoken too quickly to say that it wasn't SFH. Stay tuned. :)

pop.gif

Well, she is STILL sitting, even though I rob her every morning. I worry she will get bored if she doesn't get eggs soon, but if I had 6-8 eggs to stick under her, I'd give it a whirl. It would eliminate the incubator entirely as my source of hatching SFH eggs issues.

I have an incubator so if she did get bored, I could try to hatch them, but most of my shipped eggs have all died at lockdown.

I did forget to tell you that the oldest chick, the roo named Wasp, looks to be crested! I don't have any crested birds yet.

He started as a black chick, but he has white and red feathers now, and he seems to have a rusty sheen to what black feathers he has. I can't wait to see what he looks like. He just had better have a decent attitude.

As far as the others go, it does look like I have at least one other little roo. Hopefully all this means that come fall, I will have plenty of eggs to share with people.

Well, she is STILL sitting, even though I rob her every morning. I worry she will get bored if she doesn't get eggs soon, but if I had 6-8 eggs to stick under her, I'd give it a whirl. It would eliminate the incubator entirely as my source of hatching SFH eggs issues.

I have an incubator so if she did get bored, I could try to hatch them, but most of my shipped eggs have all died at lockdown.

I have the same issue. I have a broody orpington, so I stuck 9 under her yesterday, although they spent 6 days in the usps. I'll know in three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom