Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Wow, that SFH/BSL cross will be interesting to watch grow. I've heard it said that one main reason humans fail to see the emotion on an animal's face is because most animals don't have eyebrows... Your chicken has eyebrows! It's like a reverse polarity Groucho Marx! Cute!

Well I finally got some pictures of my recently added SFH chicks. These are the four chicks I got from Leigh and Karen at Gilmanor. The two white with reddish feathers are from Leah. The chocolate/white and white chicks are from KYTinpusher via Karen. The chocolate/white acts and carries himself like a young cockerel. Too early to tell with the others. While I hope for some pullets, it seldom seems to work that way.
sad.png
These chicks were hatched just prior to Gilmanor in September, probably September 18.

These pictures were taken in the evening as the sun was setting.

From the first photo, it looks like at least two roos in the group. The white in the center, and the chocolate/white are almost definitely roos. The little white one on the right looks more like a pullet but it is a little difficult to see the fourth one. Good luck!

Twice in the past week or more, I have posted to this list looking for a source for Swedish flower hens. I'm going to give it one last shot.
I live in Montana and am looking for Swedish flower hens. I do not want eggs at this time but I'm looking for chicks or started birds. I have a variety of chicks (2 breda, 2sfh, 5 marans) from very recent hatches so I have to keep my brooder going for many weeks to come and may as well maximize my time and power bill. along with the sfh I am looking for breda, blue copper or Blue wheaten marans, bbs orps, and standard cochins. can someone please help me or direct me to a source or sources?
I'm not sure who is selling out your way. I know there are several breeders in California. I have some adult birds that I could sell, but the shipping from Georgia would be ridiculous (as well as hard on the birds) Greenfire Farms in Florida, of course is a source for day olds. Another source is Richard Jordan of Jordan Farms/Pampered Poultry. I got my original stock from him, and he is great to work with. I know he ships day olds, he is in Georgia, so about he same distance as GFF. Its not the best time of year to order day olds so you would have to check availability. Probably getting cold up your way as well, but a heat pack would probably be sufficient if you could get them soon. Good luck!

Twice in the past week or more, I have posted to this list looking for a source for Swedish flower hens. I'm going to give it one last shot.
I live in Montana and am looking for Swedish flower hens. I do not want eggs at this time but I'm looking for chicks or started birds. I have a variety of chicks (2 breda, 2sfh, 5 marans) from very recent hatches so I have to keep my brooder going for many weeks to come and may as well maximize my time and power bill. along with the sfh I am looking for breda, blue copper or Blue wheaten marans, bbs orps, and standard cochins. can someone please help me or direct me to a source or sources?

Sorry you have not gotten responses.
Many of us do not have breeding pens set up right now... many breeding pens were broken down for the summer as it is just too hot to ship eggs and chicks.
I have just now divided my SFH in trios (Vacker with his girls, and Dweezil with his girls) - yes I have happy boys.
smile.png

I don't anticipate hatching any chicks until the first of the year.
I know that doesn't help you now, but I plan to have eggs and chicks from both trios this coming spring.
Good luck in your search... I love my SFH... your wait will be worth it.

I have not ordered from here but He was recommended by a couple of friends. He has several rare breeds & a goo reputation from what I've read... http://www.papaspoultry.com/store/page19.html

I am sorry about your roo and black pullet.  If he was ill wouldn't it show on the test?  Did they give you "cause of death"?  I think you are right - its because we count every SFH that they are more noticeable.

I have had only one bird tested - that was a Show Girl given to me because she was acting "off" - and when she died I wanted to make sure she didn't carry anything that would affect the rest of my flock.  She was completely in quarantine - no contact with any other bird, fed and handled last and changed clothes.  She went downhill very quickly, but no sign of outward illness except she refused to eat or drink and would fight any force feeding.

The necropsy report came back chronic inflamation of the bronchial tubes and feeding "tube" (forgot exact name) and bacterial and fungal growths inside her lungs and airways.  It was very specific on cause of death (dehydration and starvation because she would not eat or drink because it hurt).  I don't know if it was because I requested cause of death or what, but it wasn't just "not MG, Salmonella, etc.." it told me what happened.  That information was included, but that was not the end of the test.  I was able to contact the previous owner and she has since changed the living situation for the rest of her birds, hopefully no more will get sick like that.

I have only had one other drop-dead bird - it was a juvie Mottled Houdan last year and he didn't look well in the morning, gone by noon.  If I had known about the testing at that time I would have sent him in.  I only found out about it the beginning of this year. I suspected heart trouble, but had no way to test.

I agree - it is very useful to know what is wrong.  I am not sure why they don't give you any more specifics - perhaps you have to request it?  Mine was done by UC Davis, perhaps they use the birds as teaching tools so they do a complete exam,  more than you would get from a cursory exam. :idunno

Oh, the necropsy was very specific, but they could not determine cause if death and the tests were all negative for disease. Being a vet, I write the requests myself, give them a huge differential diagnosis list and ask for specific testing in addition to what is included. It has always been NSF (no significant findings). On the one hand, it is good...I don't have MG or Salmonella or anything floating around...but I sometimes just had young, apparently healthy birds drop dead. I had a bad rash of it a month ago,was sure it must be something awful, but nothing.

I responded to your OP and suggested GFF and PapaBrooder here on BYC. Jordan Farms and Our Flybabies online might have some. But...my own birds have suddenly slowed, probably because of the weather and change in daylight, so it may have happened to others as well. It may be difficult to find them except for the southern breeders this time of year. But if you can find them...they would be laying in the spring! You won't find started birds except for roosters.

In other news, the first SFH completely from our own flock hatched the other day. Feather sexing indicates a pullet (fingers crossed on that). A little strawberry blonde, it is from a red and blue uncrested hen and my crested red and black MF rooster (who seems to have a lovely disposition so far!). I don't have photos. Maybe tomorrow.

The rest....sigh....my kids opened the bator on day 20 and shrink wrapped the rest, except for an EE egg (those are soooo cute with their muffs!). The flock isn't laying right now, but I'm still shopping for a new bator anyway. I need one I can lock apparently.

Last edited:
In other news, the first SFH completely from our own flock hatched the other day. Feather sexing indicates a pullet (fingers crossed on that). A little strawberry blonde, it is from a red and blue uncrested hen and my crested red and black MF rooster (who seems to have a lovely disposition so far!). I don't have photos. Maybe tomorrow.

The rest....sigh....my kids opened the bator on day 20 and shrink wrapped the rest, except for an EE egg (those are soooo cute with their muffs!). The flock isn't laying right now, but I'm still shopping for a new bator anyway. I need one I can lock apparently.
Congratulations on your first SFH chick! Its been a particularly long journey for you. Sorry about the rest of the clutch. Feather sexing for me has been pretty accurate, so hopefully you do have a little pullet.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first SFH chick! Its been a particularly long journey for you. Sorry about the rest of the clutch. Feather sexing for me has been pretty accurate, so hopefully you do have a little pullet.

I hope so. She would be laying come spring, which would be perfect. I have two nonrelated young roosters I could cross her with.

It has been a crazy ride getting my flock going. But I did get one SFH egg today, so that is something! My blue and red crested hen laid it. I hesitate to hatch any of her eggs, as the two older roosters are crested, and I don't want too big a crest. That hen lays the most beautiful very pale cream eggs.

Back
Top Bottom