Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
Nice babies!!!!! Welcome
wee.gif

It seems to me there is a pecking order among *breeds*.

Does anyone know where Swedish Flowers sit on the spectrum of chicken assertiveness with other chickens?

For instance, in my flock the buff orps are above wyandotte are above the sussex are above the ameraucana, and everyone is above the pullets!

So, you'd probably have to have a mixed flock of adults to really know.

Renee

hit.gif
barnie.gif

Magnus, my 12 week old roo, is coloring up sooo beautifully. It is hard to see in this picture, but his saddle and hackle feathers are coming in a very rich florescent copper/orange. I was thinking of using him as one of my main breeders....
105574_magnus_010412.jpg

But yesterday, my eagle-eyed DD pointed out the side sprigs on his comb.
barnie.gif

105574_side_sprigs.jpg

I have plenty of other roos to choose from
hmm.png
, but it breaks my heart because I think he is going to be so handsome.
hit.gif

Has anyone else seen this crop up?

Quote:
frow.gif
Welcome! Glad to know I wasn't the only one who cut the legbands before I knew their purpose! Fortunately I've still been able to distinguish one line from the other, for the most part.

Anyway, glad you are here!

Quote:
He certainly is pretty! Is the side-sprig really such a big deal?

Side sprigs are a disqualifier at shows. I may never show my SFH, but it is not a trait to be perpetuated. I could probably eventually breed it out with a lot of time and a significant amount of culling, but I don't have the resources to do that, especially when I have at least six
th.gif
other cockerels to choose from, and only 7 hens to start with. I knew I would have to send some of the extra roos to freezer camp, but I didn't want Magnus to be one of them.
hit.gif
Depending on how nice he feathers out, I may just keep him around to guard the laying flock while they are free-ranging and collect his feathers when he molts.
hmm.png

Quote:
I admit, I'm a novice. I've never heard of side sprigs. But I understand your angst!! Now I'm going to have to take a good look at my boys. So far I THINK I have 4 boys and 4 girls. One boy with a crooked toe that I've found home for when he's a little older. I love funky combs so I'd have to keep Magnus if he were mine.

Quote:
I say keep him. It's going to be a looong time before SFH are accepted, if ever, by the APA.

If you really love him, excluding the sprigs, I say keep him and use him for breeding, then select only his offspring with no sprigs in further breedings. You'll probably have to test breed to other birds to see if any of his future offspring are carrying the gene for sprigs but I feel like it's not necessarily something you should cull such a pretty bird over.

ETA: Or just keep him with a layer flock, that way you get to keep him around and not have to worry about potentially troublesome genetics!
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi!

I have been drooling over these birds for over a year. I am thinking about taking the plunge and getting a few this summer. I was curious how you find the attitude of the roos? I have two small children and want them to be safe. Granted, I do not need to have roos, but it would be nice to keep one around.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom