Swedish Flower Hen Thread

re: rooster behavior vs flock protector... I don't see where a good flock protector HAS to be aggressive to anything other than threats to his flock...

my dorking roos are big babies, totally non-aggressive with people, but one took on a hawk that was after his girls. lost part of his comb in the process. but still a totally mellow guy that has no problem with me picking him up randomly. my cochins are very much the same, tho not as big on being caught/held, and not as adventuresome as the dorkings when it comes to exploring the acreage. I've never been stalked by either breed, but all the roos are protective of their girls and alert for trouble.

I don't see any reason why selecting for friendly roos is going to hurt the breed for it's free ranging capabilities.

I will not tolerate an aggressive rooster. period. and I've told them all that. so far they're listening. the roos that didn't, didn't hang around long. LOL (over the years all the oegb, sultan, polish, d'uccle all went to freezer camp or were sold).

I agree. My SFH Roo is a good boy right now. If he ever decides to be a problem there are 4 more SFH in the brooder - one I suspect is male.. I can find a replacement if not. Being a protector of the flock does not equate to being a human aggressive rooster. Once they figure out that we are not a threat, and are actually a source of food, if they are smart enough they will leave us alone and make way when we walk through. Its the ones that are too stupid to figure that out that need to go "swimming with dumplings". Only the smart survive.

Its the ones that are too stupid to figure that out that need to go "swimming with dumplings". Only the smart survive.
ROFL I like that "swimming with dumplings"...

and yeah, even the super friendly can be stupid... enough to get stepped on by a horse, not once, but TWICE! it just happened he was also the most loving/lovable. first time was fixable, second time was not.

Awwwwwww, Ki4got, sorry about the loveable one.

I did want to chime in here, though. I am glad to hear that there are folks who are proactive about keeping the 'breed' standard by culling the 'bad boys'. It is, after all, a landrace, so the genetics for just about any kind of behavior are there, just like the genetics for just about any kind of color.
I do wonder, though, if they are influenced by observing the bahavior of adults.

I have a young SFH cockerel that I hatched on 3/20 that is going to need to find a new home if anyone is in my area and would like to have him. He has started crowing and will need to go. I can't keep roosters. I live in NE NC near the Virginia border if anyone is interested.

Oh yes, I'm going to cull all human aggressive roosters. I don't see that as an issue, nor do I think it will hurt their abilities to be good free ranging birds. I just think some may have more aggression than others and may have difficulties deciding what is a danger to the flock and what is not, making them more inclined to attack first (this may have been an ideal trait when "wild" but not so much in a farm flock). Any bird that thinks a human is a danger is gone here. I have too many kids here to tolerate any aggressive animals of any type. I just find it very, very interesting that I've had 2/3 of my adult SFH be highly aggressive, but I walked around the yard this morning without a care....and I have 8 adult roosters wandering around. They hardly fight among themselves either. I'm monitoring my young guys' behavior; with at least 9 up and coming, surely one will be nice ;)

Since you're all on the topic of roosters...
Swedish Flower Cockrel in western Washington needs a wonderful home.

Hello all,
My daughters and I hatched Swedish Flower Hens this spring and were absolutely delighted with how sweet and personable they all have been. We got really lucky to get 4 pullets, but of course, our most favorite, the sweetest, in your pocket, blowing kisses in your ear baby turned out to be a cockrel. His name is Rowen and he is beautiful. He runs to see us any time we come to the coop. He even stands on our feet until we pick him up. He is the sweetest chicken we have ever had and we have kept him as long as we can but he started trying to crow this morning so the time has come. We are all heart broken to have to let him go but the neighbors just can't be bought off with fresh eggs. (We've tried!)

Rowen needs a happy home where someone wants him because he is a beautiful and sweet rooster. I don't want him to end up in a freezer.

We are located in the Monroe/Woodinville area in Washington and I would be happy to meet someone halfway if needed. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Oh and he hatched March 17th.

Since you're all on the topic of roosters...
Swedish Flower Cockrel in western Washington needs a wonderful home.

Hello all,
My daughters and I hatched Swedish Flower Hens this spring and were absolutely delighted with how sweet and personable they all have been. We got really lucky to get 4 pullets, but of course, our most favorite, the sweetest, in your pocket, blowing kisses in your ear baby turned out to be a cockrel. His name is Rowen and he is beautiful. He runs to see us any time we come to the coop. He even stands on our feet until we pick him up. He is the sweetest chicken we have ever had and we have kept him as long as we can but he started trying to crow this morning so the time has come. We are all heart broken to have to let him go but the neighbors just can't be bought off with fresh eggs. (We've tried!)

Rowen needs a happy home where someone wants him because he is a beautiful and sweet rooster. I don't want him to end up in a freezer.

We are located in the Monroe/Woodinville area in Washington and I would be happy to meet someone halfway if needed. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Oh and he hatched March 17th.

I just had someone email me from Oregon looking for a roo his age. Since I don't ship live birds (especially not that far) I told her about your roo. I'll let you know -

Back
Top Bottom