Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Thanks!

Miss Gray (Blue) is so much fun. She always tries everything first and is quite curious.

When they were very young, she tried to roost w/the adults. She'd sit on a stump by the big roost until it got quite dark inside the hen house. Then she'd go for it. Up to the roost just to be knocked down by the older girls. She'd try over and over.

One night when she was waiting to try for the roost, she jumped up there and landed on the back of 2 of the hens - straddling them. They didn't quite know what was going on and they let her stay there for quite a long time before they got wise and made a concerted effort to "put her in her place".

She continues to be the "risk taker"...doing things that are very endearing and enjoyable to watch :D

Oh, how SWEET !

I have been trying to get some of these chicks for a while now....the one farm that sells them around here won't sell to anyone locally...even tho' on their website, they have them listed as for sale. To me, that is dishonest and is like the old "bait and switch."
Personally, I think they should state on the website that they won't sell them locally. They are trying to hog the market on them to keep their prices high, I suppose, because they are asking DOUBLE what Greenfire Farm asks for theirs. And Greenfire was the one that imported them in the first place, at the cost of almost $2,500 per bird !
And it's too bad MOST small farms really gouge you on shipping them, too, if you DO try to get some of them.
Oh, well...that's the way some people are: just plain greedy.
"The love of money is the root to all [many] evils," as Jesus said. He knew what He was talking about !

I guess I am naive and didn't realize this was a problem. I am worried about the potential new shipping taxes that have been discussed for day old birds. I may just ship eggs and not day olds next year. But I had no idea certain breeds were difficult to get because people refused to sell locally. How strange is that? And really... What purpose does it serve?

Oh, how SWEET !

I have been trying to get some of these chicks for a while now....the one farm that sells them around here won't sell to anyone locally...even tho' on their website, they have them listed as for sale. To me, that is dishonest and is like the old "bait and switch."
Personally, I think they should state on the website that they won't sell them locally. They are trying to hog the market on them to keep their prices high, I suppose, because they are asking DOUBLE what Greenfire Farm asks for theirs. And Greenfire was the one that imported them in the first place, at the cost of almost $2,500 per bird !
And it's too bad MOST small farms really gouge you on shipping them, too, if you DO try to get some of them.
Oh, well...that's the way some people are: just plain greedy.
"The love of money is the root to all [many] evils," as Jesus said. He knew what He was talking about !
If you have a incubator or broody hen you can find the fertile eggs on eBay. We won ours there and it just so happens to be from Sebrightsrock SFH who is on this thread. I believe you can find pictures of some of her rooster/hens on here. We are currently waiting on ours to hatch in about 8 days. This is our second attempt at hatching ourselves. First hatch we got 8 Rhodebar chicks that are three weeks and all still lively and healthy. If you cannot manage hatching eggs, you can try rarebreedsauction.com for live chicks. Greenfire has them for auction frequently and their shipping is much more reasonable than most. It is costly to ship live chicks but it does seem some are excessively higher than others. After purchasing two batches of live chicks (Welsummer and Marans), we decided to try the hatching route. There is alot of threads that are informative. ronott1 who is on this site is very informative and helpful with new hatchers. Great group of chicken lovers here!

I guess I am naive and didn't realize this was a problem. I am worried about the potential new shipping taxes that have been discussed for day old birds. I may just ship eggs and not day olds next year. But I had no idea certain breeds were difficult to get because people refused to sell locally. How strange is that? And really... What purpose does it serve?
It sounds like someone is trying to cut out possible future competition. My husband always says that competition is good and healthy. How else can you tell what is good or bad if you don't have anything to compare it to. If you are doing things right and above board, competition should not be an issue...its about being your best. We are trying to grow this breed that was not heard of in the US until recent. With responsible breeding we can keep these around for the future.

Back
Top Bottom