Swedish Flower Hen Thread

what do you think about these two Swedish Flower chicks? One is rooster and one pullet. They are a little over 6 weeks. I'm concerned about how big the crest is on both.

what do you think about these two Swedish Flower chicks? One is rooster and one pullet. They are a little over 6 weeks. I'm concerned about how big the crest is on both

I would definitely not breed either to a crested, for fear of even larger crests or vaulted skulls. I might also be hesitant to free range them without a bit of a haircut of sorts... that sort of crest will impede their view above for sure, and possibly behind as well. depending how it is once they're done growing that is.
otherwise they look pretty nice so far.

then again, I just realized my roo seems to have 'grown into' his crest a bit, so it's not as noticeable as it was when he was younger... so maybe they will too.

Just posting some photos...haven't put any out in awhile. I don't have any great photos right now but here are a couple of the 2 girls at 26 weeks.

Miss Sweden (I need to give her a proper name sometime soon...how 'bout a "Name the Swede Contest"? Anyone want to contribute a name suggestion?)

Don't have a good photo of Miss Gray right now but here are the 2 of them together from a strange angle :D

chicks on day 13, starting to wander away from mom, but they listen better than my kids because on the first call they all run over to her!

mine scare me, because I have a 5 month old Border collie who is still learning, and they will come thru the fence and jump on him. He is outside with them all day and so far I always have 4 chicks when I get home.
fl.gif

Astrolorp mommy is pretty vigilant on guarding them, she has charged the dog thru the fence if she thinks he is too close....need to go do more dog training!!

Back
Top Bottom