Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I am so excited for all of you and your adorable birds... But I want some! LOL Can anyone direct me to a source of chicks or preferably started birds? I would rather not incubate for right now. I just ran a bunch in the incubator, and out of 16 eggs, i got 2 chicks and one of those was an assisted hatch. I am thinking I have some incubator issues and it just kills me to get the really late quitters....
where do you live?
Diane

I am so excited for all of you and your adorable birds... But I want some! LOL Can anyone direct me to a source of chicks or preferably started birds? I would rather not incubate for right now. I just ran a bunch in the incubator, and out of 16 eggs, i got 2 chicks and one of those was an assisted hatch. I am thinking I have some incubator issues and it just kills me to get the really late quitters....
where are you located? that would help to figure out who might have birds/chicks available.

and yes, hatching sfh can be tricky, shipped eggs even more so... knock on wood, I've had good successes with both shipped and 'local'. even tho some of those local eggs travelled upwards of 8 hours by car to get to the incubator...

I hatched 7 out of 12 shipped eggs from BDM last spring... not a great percentage in general but apparently not bad for SFH.
I am going to hatch some in Jan before I begin shipping just to assure egg quality.

All the eggs I've hatched from my own flock (not shipped) have hatched. I'm convinced it's the post office travel that's the problem. The eggs I've received from others have all been packed excellently. Packing not an issue. I just think between the jostling of shipping, xray machines, and who knows what else doesn't give them much of an opportunity to get there intact.

I've had Speckled Sussex for 6 years. I am wanting some of these pretty fierce! It surprises me, because I haven't really felt drawn to a new chicken variety quite like this before. The added bonus is the winter hardiness of these girls, as we live in New England, and that's a plus. So hopefully in spring 2014, there will be an opportunity to add a few of these to my home!

My first SFH pullet laid her first egg at 19.5 weeks. I do think it depends on what time of year they were hatched though. She was a February hatch, the girls from an August hatch were closer to 27 weeks. I have some pullets that were hatched on April 23, 2013 that have just started laying. Their first egg was at 23 weeks. You should be really close to your first egg! I don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep us posted.
Thanks, that's really helpful! My flock is only 16 weeks, but I'm already getting antsy for eggs. I sure hope I get some before the days get too short for them. At least I hear that SFH in California tend to lay year round. Do you all in more northerly climes have the same experience (SFH eggs all winter)?

Funny, After their Beauty, I was drawn to how well they do in the Heat!

I just got my flock but once they are settled in & laying Well, I will gladly Ship eggs to help out & in turn get critiques on what my birds produce...

Kimi

Photo from today made me laugh. Watch out behind you, Gunter! lol

Back
Top Bottom