Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Leigh...if I'm really getting one of those girls I need to get a dark colored NON-CRESTED roo too. Preferably not related. But I'll consider anything.

the key wouldn't be so much DARK as no wing triangle... the roos won't be dark like the girls in a birchen-based variety...

brown-red bantam cochins (image found on google images) just for an example...
for examples of the wing triangle, look at a black breasted red bird and a brown-red of the same breed, side by side. (or silver duckwing and birchen - silver versions of the same thing) birchen is known as crow-winged also.

very nice !!! sorry for your loss. my rooster looks a lot like yours. how old is your rooster ? I have to figure out how to take nice photos like you do and then figure out how to get them in my computer.
Mace will be a year old in March or April. Hard to remember who hatched when.
smile.png

Photography has become a wonderful artistic outlet for me. I take hundreds of pictures every week. Good lighting is a must, and you also need to shoot from a bird's level. This may explain how I get chicken poop on my shirt so regularly.

as for the nice photos, a good camera is a huge help. I blame Bulldogma for my urge to get a 'real' camera and got the Canon Rebel T3 (digital SLR) and don't regret it one bit.
Enablers... takes one to know one! LOLOLOL!

And Sue - Ki4got and I will do what we can to get you the chicks you want.

Quote:
as for the nice photos, a good camera is a huge help. I blame Bulldogma for my urge to get a 'real' camera and got the Canon Rebel T3 (digital SLR) and don't regret it one bit.
Enablers... takes one to know one! LOLOLOL!

And Sue - Ki4got and I will do what we can to get you the chicks you want.

yup... you 'enabled' me to see the 'error of my ways' and my little camera, and I enabled you to see the need for CHICKENS!
lau.gif

as for chicks, can't count them before they hatch, and can't control which ones are roos, but we'll see what we get. LOL I know there's plenty of roos in the brooder and grow out pens right now...

didn't get as much done on the pens yesterday as I'd hoped... always the way it works, isn't it?

didn't get as much done on the pens yesterday as I'd hoped... always the way it works, isn't it?
Always! We had beautiful weather over the weekend but I had a bunch of errands to run so I didn't get to do a complete cleaning of the coops. Now it's raining...AGAIN. There's still plenty of time for spring cleaning since it's technically not spring yet, but I was really hoping to knock down the cobwebs and give everything a thorough sweeping. Maybe next weekend!

Yup! And it's funny how I'll start working on something and realize I forgot a needed item...
Head back to get the item and realize I meant to take some eggs inside...
Turn around to get the eggs and my DH calls me...
Turn to see what he wants only to learn he wants eggs...
Turn back to get eggs and realize I have no way to carry them...
Turn back to get my little egg basket...
Get my little egg basket and head back out to the coop...
Realize I forgot to get the item I was going into the house to get in the first place...

I end up looking like one of those little ducks in a shooting gallery!

Quote:
That sounds just like me! All you're missing is the point where you're standing in the middle of the kitchen wondering "Now why am I in here?"

Well I got my first egg yesterday from my pair of swedish flower hens. My goal is to get more. Have been trying to get a hold of the person I got my hen from but no luck yet. Will probably right them a letter to see about some more eggs or just purchase more from others to get more blood. My pair are from 2 different people so off to okay start. From all I have been reading they would be considered splash based correct?

Not best of pictures but will try to describe them also. Roo Top picture. He was primarly white with few specks of blue in him. Know he has red in his wings and still some blue here and there. He is about 8 months or so. I thought he was a she for long time. Hen: she is blue with red and gold in neck and some white and black. She is not quite 6 months old yet.

Back
Top Bottom