Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Well, VA chicken peeps...I'll be making my annual trip to Staunton in a couple weeks. I could swap eggs with someone on the way...

LOL- I am on the way but do not have any that I can guarantee that are pure at this time. About three weeks ago, I removed two cream legbar roosters that were in with them due to the severe cold we had and frostbite problems. From what I am hatching now, these two boys got to quite a number of my egg layers.
ep.gif

Ok, mind BLOWN! I picked up a couple of birds on a whim since a breeder was coming thru my area but there is sooooo much to learn about this breed to become a responsible breeder. I happened to get a pair by accident. Where (besides this site) can I go to learn about the colors and traits?

Can you tell me what I have and if you would breed them while I study up on this breed some more. I would appreciate any helpful push towards any online site where I can learn more.
I am concerned about their wings. Just hoping that is the awkward teenager stage.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Ok, mind BLOWN! I picked up a couple of birds on a whim since a breeder was coming thru my area but there is sooooo much to learn about this breed to become a responsible breeder. I happened to get a pair by accident. Where (besides this site) can I go to learn about the colors and traits?

Can you tell me what I have and if you would breed them while I study up on this breed some more. I would appreciate any helpful push towards any online site where I can learn more.
I am concerned about their wings. Just hoping that is the awkward teenager stage.

Thanks in advance...

Did you get them from Just Fowling Around? Nice birds....

Last edited:
Yes, I did. They are awesome birds, really tame and friendly. I was really bummed I got a roo cuz I just wanted layers but I really love this little guy. I had them in the house for a few weeks since they got an upper respiratory from travel stress and I got to spoil them rotten. They both jump right onto my arm when I go feed. They are younger then the other birds I got from them so the poor guy gets picked on. I will soon be moving them to a larger coop and run so he will have more room to get a way. Then if I breed them they will get their own coop/run.

Yes, I did. They are awesome birds, really tame and friendly. I was really bummed I got a roo cuz I just wanted layers but I really love this little guy. I had them in the house for a few weeks since they got an upper respiratory from travel stress and I got to spoil them rotten. They both jump right onto my arm when I go feed. They are younger then the other birds I got from them so the poor guy gets picked on. I will soon be moving them to a larger coop and run so he will have more room to get a way. Then if I breed them they will get their own coop/run.

They are good people. I got some Swedes from them. I needed to outcross so got some from them. Very nice...I got pullets but one ended up a roo as well. I am going to get more from them....they are a quality folks! Let them know you got a roo and if you bought her as a pullet, they make it right. My favorite Swede hen is from them

Thanks in advance...

it's possible they have split wing, but I wouldn't judge that until they're fully grown, because they could just be moulting in new feathers too...

the crested is the roo, the other a pullet. both are blues, so breeding them you'd get half blue 1/4 splash 1/4 black based...

as far as reading up, there is no 'set' breed standard, but what has been proposed for the breed group I'm trying to organize can be found at www.sfhusa.com
the website is still a work in progress, and notifications aren't coming to me properly, so if you'd like to join it let me know (pm) here...

but if you read back in this thread, I posted up the possible color combinations and what they might be genetically, but that has nothing to do with 'proper' breeding or anything.

in a nutshell, basically you want yellow feet/legs, single comb with no side sprigs (it's ok for the comb to be wavy in crested birds) and all birds must be mottled regardless of the base coloration (splash may be harder to see mottling) and best to avoid issues like split wing and any crookedness in the body at all (scissor beak, crooked toes, wry neck/tail, curved keel bone or spine, etc).

it's possible they have split wing, but I wouldn't judge that until they're fully grown, because they could just be moulting in new feathers too...

the crested is the roo, the other a pullet. both are blues, so breeding them you'd get half blue 1/4 splash 1/4 black based... 

as far as reading up, there is no 'set' breed standard, but what has been proposed for the breed group I'm trying to organize can be found at www.sfhusa.com 
the website is still a work in progress, and notifications aren't coming to me properly, so if you'd like to join it let me know (pm) here...

but if you read back in this thread, I posted up the possible color combinations and what they might be genetically, but that has nothing to do with 'proper' breeding or anything.

in a nutshell, basically you want yellow feet/legs, single comb with no side sprigs (it's ok for the comb to be wavy in crested birds) and all birds must be mottled regardless of the base coloration (splash may be harder to see mottling) and best to avoid issues like split wing and any crookedness in the body at all (scissor beak, crooked toes, wry neck/tail, curved keel bone or spine, etc).

Thank you so much for the info. They are in the funny teenager stage and are changing every day.

Hi there,
I have three SFH hens and am looking for a non-tufted rooster to mate them. I received the hens as chicks from a farm in Coos Bay, OR. One non-tufted and two tufted. I'd love to find a mature rooster who is of a more distant lineage. I believe they came from Greenfire farms a few generations ago. I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping charges or drive from S. Oregon to pick one up somewhat locally. If you have any extras or know of anyone who does, I'd really appreciate your help.
Thanks everyone!
-Danielle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom