Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Sad news! Today I found my big, beautiful Alma dead in the coop. It looks like her heart stopped and she died in her sleep. She was on the floor under the perch.

After doing a quick necropsy, I also believe she was a bit overweight and may have had an issue with internal laying... I found something that looked like an egg membrane in her abdomen.

I had some suspicions that she hadn't been laying over the last week or so, but I couldn't be sure because Yta also lays BIG eggs - though hers tend to be more pointy.

I'm very sad to lose such a beautiful girl, but if there is any consolation, it is that I have one of her big, beautiful daughters growing out.

Alma - Spring 2013 - Spring 2014.

Alma x Mace Pullet - hatched March, 2014
I hate it when chickens die. I think I'll be especially sad when it happens to a SFH. They are all so unique and wonderful to have around! Thank you for being so brave and looking for answers. We are lucky to have a university local that does necropsy for free. I don't think I'd have the nerve!

And the new pullet is a beauty!

So sorry to hear about Alma!
hugs.gif

My condolences to you, Leigh. I, too, thank you for your courage to look for a cause and enlighten the rest of us.
I did notice that if I went too heavy with treats, ( meal worms in the summer and scratch in the winter) some of the ladies present me with a little blood streak on their eggs. That's when I know to 'lighten up'

2/3 sfh (my first laid here sfh to hatch) have hatched!! 3rd egg is pipped so hopefull on that one also.

Pictures forthcoming when they fluff up & I move them to the brooder :)

Doing the happy dance at long last !!!!

5 out of my 11 intact shipped SFH eggs made it into lockdown yesterday! I had pretty much written them off since the box arrived dripping yoke and a total mess. I can hear cheeps today and so anxious that they all make it. My last try with shipped eggs yielded me 1 chick out of 12 eggs. My 3 chicks that were a gift from a friend, are maturing and looking so beautiful-but appear to be 2 cockerels and one pullet. Fingers crossed my one lonely chick from last hatch is a pullet! If nothing else I will have a lot of genetic diversity in my little flock. If this hatch is successful I will have chicks from 4 separate lines. As much as can be hoped for in the current US gene pool at least =)

5 out of my 11 intact shipped SFH eggs made it into lockdown yesterday! I had pretty much written them off since the box arrived dripping yoke and a total mess. I can hear cheeps today and so anxious that they all make it. My last try with shipped eggs yielded me 1 chick out of 12 eggs. My 3 chicks that were a gift from a friend, are maturing and looking so beautiful-but appear to be 2 cockerels and one pullet. Fingers crossed my one lonely chick from last hatch is a pullet! If nothing else I will have a lot of genetic diversity in my little flock. If this hatch is successful I will have chicks from 4 separate lines. As much as can be hoped for in the current US gene pool at least =)
Welcome! and good luck with your hatch!
fl.gif
We look forward to seeing pictures of your SFH when you get a chance. (We can never see too many pictures!
big_smile.png
)

Ok SFH gurus, it is not normal for an SFH cockerel about 14 weeks to be aggressive, as in suddenly running at me and even grabbing my leg once? He was from a different breeder so was going to keep him but he may meet his maker tonite.

Back
Top Bottom