Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi all! I have a couple of little swedes. (In the middle of the pic.) They look so different from each other. I have a feeling the taller one is a roo.

@cpegram

This is an aerial view of last summer's hatch when they were juveniles. The only blonde chick turned out to be a splash, the primarily white one on the right.

It seems to me that there's a big difference in the light yellow chicks and the dark yellow chicks with a red undertone. The ones with the red undertone end up darker once they feather out whereas the bright yellow ones are the ones who end up strikingly lighter. Not definite; just my theory based on my experience with this breed! Maybe others have noticed other trends.

It seems to me that there's a big difference in the light yellow chicks and the dark yellow chicks with a red undertone. The ones with the red undertone end up darker once they feather out whereas the bright yellow ones are the ones who end up strikingly lighter. Not definite; just my theory based on my experience with this breed! Maybe others have noticed other trends.

Yes, this has been my experience, too. For example these two:

The one on the left was really light yellow, and now as a 5-month old is practically completely white. The one on the right had the red undertone you´re talking about, and now has more red to her than in the picture above.
And congratulations to everyone´s new hatches. I´m not hatching anything in the bator right now because I´m waiting for my broodies. I had three, but one left the nest after about 3 or 4 days, so I had to throw away all the eggs (I checked them and almost all had developing embryos in them
sad.png
). I have another who´s sitting on 8 eggs, but she´s been leaving the nest A LOT, so I´m not sure how it´ll turn out. Every time I check on the eggs when I see her outside, they´re still warm, though, so maybe there´s a chance. The third has been a very dutiful mama on her 9 eggs, so I´m pretty sure at least a couple of hers will hatch. About another 10 days to go...

My Easter HAL chicks. 2 weeks yesterday & today. They all love the camera (except the one shy one). 5 Swedish Flower Hens and 3 Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom