Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Anyone here located in Northern California/SFBA area? I am looking to buy a couple SFH pullets, and with the heat and time of year I don't want to ask/risk shipping. Every resource I have run down so far has tapped out.

thanks

Deborah

When can I reliably tell which of my Swedish Flowers are pullets and which are cockerels? My chicks are about 6 weeks old now and I think I can tell the difference by the comb development but how reliable is this? I live in the city and can't keep roosters so I am anxious to re-home the cockerels before they start making noise but I don't want to inadvertently get rid of pullets. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is my first time raising a batch of chicks.

The first picture is an example of the suspected cockerel and the second picture is of the suspected pullet.

This is my second group to hatch from Spoticus and the German girls. I want to keep all of them. I am finding letting go of SFH chicks to be very difficult! I still have all the first group!

Hello all,
I'm looking for some expert advice on this bird I ordered. This should have been a Swedish Flower Hen, but I don't know - that crest!
This is not the bird I was expecting - the breed appealed to me for its hardiness, free-ranging ability and intelligence. I know some have crests, but I haven't seen any that have this much - she looks like a Polish. Poor thing can't see a thing, runs around in terror bumping into things. This can't be the product of a landrace, never would have gotten past natural selection, right?

I know there's a wide diversity within this breed, so I'd like to hear if others have encountered this, or if there has been concerted efforts to breed crests into the breed. Armed with some info, I'd like to send a letter of complaint. She's a sweet girl, and after I trimmed a lot of the feathers away so she can see, she actually seems like a smart girl, too.
Thanks!

Hello all,
I'm looking for some expert advice on this bird I ordered. This should have been a Swedish Flower Hen, but I don't know - that crest!
This is not the bird I was expecting - the breed appealed to me for its hardiness, free-ranging ability and intelligence. I know some have crests, but I haven't seen any that have this much - she looks like a Polish. Poor thing can't see a thing, runs around in terror bumping into things. This can't be the product of a landrace, never would have gotten past natural selection, right?

I know there's a wide diversity within this breed, so I'd like to hear if others have encountered this, or if there has been concerted efforts to breed crests into the breed. Armed with some info, I'd like to send a letter of complaint. She's a sweet girl, and after I trimmed a lot of the feathers away so she can see, she actually seems like a smart girl, too.
Thanks!

Talk about a bad hair day! She is 80's big hair for sure. I have never seen a crest that large on a SFH.

Hello all,

Thanks!

This may be unusual on the SFH breed, but this is a beautiful bird. Bet she'll be even more gorgeous when she matures and all her flowers come out.

It's my understanding that large crests like this happen when crested x crested birds are mated. It's generally considered a bad idea to breed crested x crested as it results in very large crests and sometimes vaulted skulls, both of which compromise survival (especially of free-ranging birds). I hope some folks with SFH breeding experience weigh in on this.

Back
Top Bottom