Swedish Flower Hen Thread

My Swedish flower is 3 weeks old. Hoping and praying she is a pullet because she is so pretty, if I do say so myself
1f60a.png

She is all white under her belly and she is getting a lot of bright white everywhere else. Is this a normal color pattern? And do you think she is blue based? Thanks all

Sorry, but that chick looks like my roo did in coloring and the comb looks like it's already growing. However, I've only had the 2 sfh.

Sorry. Too soon to tell. Wait until they are 8 weeks or so and post pictures again.

Hope you enjoy them!
I can usually tell my boys by 5 1/2 weeks.

@Stephine Sorry for your loss. Shipping is always hard on chicks and I never expect 100% survival.

If you want, you might be able to order more... and sell the others off. Or even find someone to go in on an order with you?

Hope your other 2 are well! Do you have them on electrolytes of some sort? And don't forget to keep your eye open for pasty butt.

How many hens do you already have?

My Swedish flower is 3 weeks old. Hoping and praying she is a pullet because she is so pretty, if I do say so myself
1f60a.png

She is all white under her belly and she is getting a lot of bright white everywhere else. Is this a normal color pattern? And do you think she is blue based? Thanks all

Cockerel!
hmm.png

Red feathers in pic one, thick legs in pic 2, big comb fro 3 weeks in pic 3...

I lost the little blue one early this morning.
2639.png

That's sad as it is, but I also ordered these mainly for the one rooster and now I am not sure I still have a rooster....
And I have to order three at a time and I can't fit more hens in my coop....
1f622.png

So sorry about the chick. However, one of the others, especially the red one, might be a roo. Just grow them out a bit. It's too bad you don't have another sfh keeper nearby, what I usually hear is that there are always extra roos needing a home.

Sorry, but that chick looks like my roo did in coloring and the comb looks like it's already growing. However, I've only had the 2 sfh.

Cockerel!
hmm.png

Red feathers in pic one, thick legs in pic 2, big comb fro 3 weeks in pic 3...
Dag Na'bit! Cursing isn't allowed so there you go! "She" has been facing off against my brahma quite often. But I know pullets will do this also. "She" feathered out really fast and had a really nice tail going early so I was thinking pullet. I hope your wrong but you're most likely correct
hit.gif
He/she is so pretty and I just love the SFH and I only have this one. I also have a gorgeous barred rock that Im almost 100% positive is a cockerel and one very sick buff cochin. My flock of 10 is dwindling.I did not know reddish feathering was indicative of cockerel, hmm thats interesting. Is this only with SFH or other chickens also?

I can usually tell my boys by 5 1/2 weeks.

@Stephine
 Sorry for your loss. Shipping is always hard on chicks and I never expect 100% survival.

If you want, you might be able to order more... and sell the others off. Or even find someone to go in on an order with you?

Hope your other 2 are well! Do you have them on electrolytes of some sort? And don't forget to keep your eye open for pasty butt.

How many hens do you already have?

Thank you! I guess I was spoiled from my first two batches )last spring) that were all fine....
Yes, they are on water with save-a-chick electrolytes and sugar.
I did check their bottoms. The one who died had a bit if poo stuck but the vent was free - still cleaned it off, though.

I have 13 almost year old hens.

Yes, maybe I will get three more and sell the extras - there should be some demand for them, right?

Thank you! I guess I was spoiled from my first two batches )last spring) that were all fine....
I did check their bottoms. The one who died had a bit if poo stuck but the vent was free - still cleaned it off, though.

Yes, maybe I will get three more and sell the extras - there should be some demand for them, right?

I would wait 2-3 weeks and then make a decision on ordering more. Too bad you and Merrymouse are not closer to each other
1f601.png

In your area... you shouldn't have an issue getting rid of them.

Maybe sell off some of your older hens since they will molt this winter and make room for your new guys. Make more $ that way and have eggs longer.

I would be happy to hook you up, but it's a bit of a drive to Crescent City... although beautiful!
wink.png
Someone is driving up from the bay area in May to get some! I have 8 SFH eggs under a broody Marans right now. Hatched 7 out of 9 sfh BOYS in Feb and lost 1 of the 2 girls to a predator...

My market here really isn't good with town pop around 7,000 and everything at least 90 miles or more away. So I just do it for the joy. Everybody seems to want my Marans though.

I actually have some nice looking young boys (hatch 2/9) right now... maybe it could be dropped off to you during that may trip (though I would never want to get animals I hadn't seen in person). They are the same age as the ones that are being picked up by another BYC member. I haven't got my NPIP yet since I don't care about making $... Still considering it, though! Because it would make somethings better but other things harder. We just eat our extra boys, so it won't be a great loss for me. PM if you want.
Dag Na'bit! Cursing isn't allowed so there you go! "She" has been facing off against my brahma quite often. But I know pullets will do this also. "She" feathered out really fast and had a really nice tail going early so I was thinking pullet. I hope your wrong but you're most likely correct
hit.gif
He/she is so pretty and I just love the SFH and I only have this one. I also have a gorgeous barred rock that Im almost 100% positive is a cockerel and one very sick buff cochin. My flock of 10 is dwindling.I did not know reddish feathering was indicative of cockerel, hmm thats interesting. Is this only with SFH or other chickens also?
The red that young is NOT indicative to me of boy, not when it's still down... if it were that easy, they would be an auto sexing breed.
hu.gif
I would be surprised if it wan't a boy, especially with someone else also thinking so. But I'm ALWAYS down to proven incorrect! Notice I didn't say wrong.
gig.gif
When I start to see red as the real feathers come in instead of the down and especially around the neck/wing area. Ya, none of this batch had any slower growth feathering, they were all fast. But when you get the slow ones, I have never had one of those turn into a girl... maybe 4 (other breeds also) have all been boys. They like to keep us guessing though by mixing it up on us.

Show the rock, we can help detect gender.

How old is your Cochin?

Sorry you are having troubles!
hugs.gif

ETA: the "red that young" comment was meant for Stephinie.
I would wait 2-3 weeks and then make a decision on ordering more. Too bad you and Merrymouse are not closer to each other
1f601.png
Agreed!

Last edited:
@EggSighted4Life
Here is a picture of my two barred rocks. I'm pretty sure one pullet one cockerel. The cockerel came from a really nice breeding. I saw the rooster and he was stunning. The pullet I'm not sure of the breeding. The cockerel is older by about a week and feathered very slowly and is just of getting a tail.

Back
Top Bottom